Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU overheating

860 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  niceboy 
#1 ·
I recently replaced my power supply and now my cpu keeps overheating and shutting down.

A little history:
Built it in 2002 with a K7T Turbo2 motherboard and AMD Duron 1300 MHz. A little while back the temperature warning started popping up saying temperature was getting high, but the temp held pretty steady. And the warning would go away. I noticed the fan was not spinning at a constant rate and had a bit of a skip to it. I replaced the fan and had no problems for a little while. Then the temperature warning would come on occasionally, usually overnight when I wasn't using the machine. I cleaned the case out and tried to give the tower space for better airflow. The other day I had a BSD waiting for me when I got home. After rebooting and running for a day or so, the computer crashed. When rebooted it went to a very strange screen... hard to explain...not a BSD and no clear error message...lots of text, but not much sense to it. I figured my power supply was bad. Replaced the 250W with 350W. My old power supply did not have the 4 pin power plug for the mobo (ATX), but the new one does. I plugged it in (and all the other power connections) and booted up. The fan didn't come on at first, but after unplugging and replugging its Molex, it came on. The fan now spins at a constant rate. However, after a little while my computer crashed. Now whenever I boot it up, the temperature warning comes on and the temp steadily increases to 200F before crashing (about 5 minutes). I tried unplugging the 4 pin power connector and tied the loose cables together to improve airflow, but no change.

Any ideas as to what's causing the overheating and what I can do about it?

Thanks for any and all help in advance!
-Breedo_

See less See more
#2 ·
where is the power wire for the CPU fan going?? To a motherboard header? or a molex connecter??
You need to get the CPU fan running 100% 100% of the time.

#3 ·
<Smacking myself> Turns out the fan wasn't actually running, just lighting up (One of those colored LED jobs)...DOH! The wire from the CPU fan was going to a connector that split off in two directions - one wire going to a motherboard header, two wires going to a molex. I took this middle connector out and plugged the fan wire directly into the motherboard header. Now the fan does come on and the temp is back to normal. Can't remember why the power connection was set up this way, and not sure why this connector started malfunctioning, but at least I have the fan working now. (And I figured out why the temp was increasing...I can stop tearing my hair out).

Thanks for the help!
-Breedo_

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.