1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by perry38, May 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perry38

perry38 Thread Starter

I installed a Voodoo-3-3000 video card and now when I scan or send pictures the CPU heats up and the computer shuts down. I installed a fan to help cooling, but I still have the same problem. I've checked everything that I can think of that might be the problem and so far nothing has worked. Any ideas what might cause this? Before the new card, the problem didn't exist. The card seems to check out ok.

Perry

2. brianF

brianF

Are you sure it's overheating or is it just crashing. Do you still have the old video card, can you put it back in and see if the problem goes away.

3. perry38

perry38 Thread Starter

brianF

Thanks for answering. No, I don't have the old card.It was an 8mb and the new one is 16mb. Yes it is definately overheating. I have an Asus pc probe installed and I monitor it frequently. I have the threshold set at 60c. Sometimes I get a solid tone from the computer...message comes up..check BIOS check power management. I go there and the temp is reading more than what asus indicates?? It fails at about 155 degrees F. When this happens, yes it will start to shut down. It will scan disk and reload. Is 150F too hot? If not, can the threshold temp in BIOS be changed. I'm running '98 with 500mhz. My son-in-law built the computer(he's 1500 miles away). I've checked to be sure core voltage on CPU is correct (it is). Son-in-law suggests bigger fan and heat sinc on CPU, but I'd have to ship it to him. May as well learn for myself. Anyway, any help will be appreciated. It's frustrating to only scan one doc and get a trouble signal.

Thanks
    perry

4. brianF

brianF

Well I doubt it has anything to do with the voodoo then. Sounds like you son in law is right, you need a new heatsink/fan or reattach the current one with some thermal paste and make sure it fits tight to the cpu core.

Yes 150F is getting too hot, that's 65 C, pretty warm.

You can browse for new heatsink/fan combo's and thermal paste here if you like
    http://www.2cooltek.com/

5. perry38

perry38 Thread Starter

brianF.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to try that since I can't tolerate the constant heat problem(not to mention possible damage to system). Is there a site I can visit to guide me in installing fan,heatsink and grease? Radio Shack has fans for CPU's etc. What size would you reccomend?

Thanks
    Perry

6. brianF

brianF

What chip are you using, amd or intel.

7. perry38

perry38 Thread Starter

Brian,
    I'm using an AMD K6-2 with the ASUS P5A ACPI motherboard.
    Perry

8. brianF

brianF

Those are pretty easy to install, just remove the current one, clean off the gunk on the chip, apply a very thin layer of heat sink compound, smoothing it out with the edge of a playing card works the best for me, and then seat the cpu, give it a little twist to make sure the compound is spread with no air gaps, install the clips along the bottom of the processor which attach to small plastic hooks on the socket.
    You could try just removing you current one, cleaning and reinstalling with thermal compound. Make sure the fan is running of course, could be the fan died, you'll have to check. Tried to find a web site but no luck, especially here from work, this connection is toooooooo slow.

9. Pernod

Pernod

I am using a Voodoo 3 3000 on this system i built about a year ago and they do run hot!!! Got a PIII 600mhz Slot 1 chip running but not for long without alarms keep going off.
    There was only about 1cm space between end of CPU and the Voodoo card and was creating a hot spot. Couldn't get any fans blowing directly to that spot and had to change the board in the end so there was more space.

10. perry38

perry38 Thread Starter

brianF.

Thanks very much for the walk through. Sounds like I may be able to handle it. I think I may need a larger heatsink..I think BestBuy has a couple. I can see the fan from the side and it is running. It may be the fan/heatsink dislodged during transit or it needs new thermal grease.In any case, I do appreciate your help. I'll let you know what happens. By the way, just scanned and mailed two small color pictures..temp went to 143F.

perry

11. perry38

perry38 Thread Starter

Pernod.
    Thanks for the input on the VooDoo. I kind of figured it may be running hotter than the old card. Seems like this problem arose when I changed from 8mb to 16mb card. My card appears to be far enough from the CPU. I'm going to try for a larger heatsink and hope that solves the problem. (a friend and I drank a bottle of Pernod on the train from Germany to Paris in the 50's....phewwwwww..strong stuff).
    Regards
    perry

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/43455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice