Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU Overheating...

850 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Nightfyre 
#1 ·
I have a friend who has been getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error for a year or so...typically when his computer has been on for long times and such. He finally came to me for help...and his CPU was idling at 58 degrees Celcius with only AIM running. It crashes every now and again, semingly for no reason, and after a crash it'll be at 70 degrees celcius or so. o_O

He's had it for three to three and a half years...could it be he needs new thermal grease? A new fan/heatsink? I know next to nothing about this, so if somebody could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Please recommend any products if that happens to be the problem...I know heis processor is an AMD Athlon 2400 and that he has a Socket A motherboard...that's about it. And is running Windows XP/

#4 ·
I would say the heatsink is most likely clogged with dirt or he needs better case cooling. Reseating the sink with some arctic silver thermal paste would be a good idea. The fan on the sink may be on its way out also.

A better sink than stock will help most times by a few degrees and in some cases 10 degrees or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.