Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU Overheating

3K views 45 replies 5 participants last post by  Rollin' Rog 
#1 ·
I don't know what to do about my PC overheating and i was looking for some advice. I have an attachment of the temps and voltages of my computer.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a 320GB Maxtor and 40GB Seagate(can't remember for sure, but doesn't really matter :rolleyes: ). ABIT KX7-333 Motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor. 1GB of RAM. Running Windows XP Service Pack 2.

One thing I didn't understand is that I have 4 80mm fans and it only says that I have 2 fans and that one isn't working. I can visually see all 4 of them working.

#4 ·
You wouldn't happen to remember what core that is do you?
A Barton?

#6 ·
In any case, 32C on an Athlon XP is a great a temp.

#7 ·
Okay well that definitely makes me feel better then. But that still doesn't explain my original problem of my computer crashing over and over while playing R.O.S.E. Online.:confused: It was suggested to me before that my computer was most likely over-heating.

#8 ·
Is it only during this one game?

Might be your powersupply, or your drivers?

What are the exact symtoms when it restarts, do you get a blue screen? Does it crash pretty fast, after a few hours? Random?

#9 ·
Well it is an MMORPG so currently it is the only game I'm playing. So I can't completely answer the first question besides that it only crashes when I'm playing the game. Not sure about the power supply, I have a 350W Antec. It is very fast when rebooting. I'll be mid-play at any random spot and it just completely shuts off and reboots.

#11 ·
I see from your previous thread that the problem was 'restarts'.

You need to run sysdm.cpl and go to Advanced > Startup and Recovery and remove the check for "automatically restart". That should get you a BSOD to look at.

In the mean time do this:

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last 2 or 3 minidump files to that folder. They are numbered by date.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select "Compress to (folder name).zip"
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform this necessary test.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

#14 ·
Which one? The one I gave you or one that Rollin' gave you?

#15 ·
The memtest86 one which both of you gave me actually. But now that I read it more I figured it out. Well sorry to split in the middle of my problem but it is getting very late for me. I'll get back to you guys ASAP. Thank you very much for the help as of now!

#16 ·
They are all the same as this:

mini051006-02.dmp

BugCheck 1000000A, {f7923c2b, 2, 1, 804eb972}

Probably caused by : hardware ( nt!KeAttachProcess+32 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: f7923c2b, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000001, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: 804eb972, address which referenced memory
ref: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x0a

You definitely need to test the ram.

There are two basic test disks you can make -- either floppy based or CD based.

The CD based file will have a .iso extension. To create it you must have CD burning software that supports .iso files such as Roxio or Nero.

If you want to create a bootable CD, unzip the .iso file from either Microsoft or Memtest and put a writable CD in the drive.

Then "open" the .iso file. Your CD burning software will do the rest. When the CD is created you must boot with it. In some cases you will need to set the BIOS boot order to boot from the CD. If you have an F12 or other boot menu that allows you to choose which IDE to boot from -- choose the CD drive.

If you want to create the floppy disk booter, just put a clean floppy in the drive and run the floppy setup utility you unzip or download. Memtest's is different than Microsofts. You download Memtest's separately. Microsoft's is a .bat file that is unzipped in their download which also includes the windiag.iso file for the bootable CD.

In either case once you have properly booted with the media of your choice you will see the test utility run automatically.

The "how to" link I posted really explains a lot of this in more detail. You should read it.

#17 ·
I think you need to configure SpeedFan so we know which temperature is which. I'm guessing that the 32C is NOT the processor temperature, but rather the MB temperature. The 58C or 63C is more likely the CPU temperature, which is a whole different picture.

On the screen you displayed, click the Configure button and change the names of the components to match the devices, see my example.

Attachments

#26 ·
"symptoms" are one thing -- actual tests are another.

Do run the tests -- go for the extended test in the MS utility if you have a while.

Be sure to test one module at a time. If you get errors in one module -- switch it to another socket to rule out the problem being with the socket or just being due to bad contacts.

The tests will run continuously until you manually stop them. Be sure to remove the CD before you hit X (MS) or ESC (memtest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.