1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by devryn, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. devryn

devryn Thread Starter

First off my specs: Athlon XP 1600+, Biostar m7vib, 256mb DDR ram, thermaltake volcano 5 cpu fan, 1 case fan (front-mounted)

My CPU has been running at really high temps recently has been up to 160F but normally runs at 135-145F. I am having trouble with system running completely slow, & freezing up.

I am wondering if I installed my CPU fan upside down, for the life of me I cannot remember if it should be blowing towards the CPu or blowing the hot air away from it. Right now I have it blowing towards CPU (which I am thinking is wrong now that it is overheating on me).

Unfortunately I am only using the thermal tape that came with the heatsink, which may not be working that well.

I am looking for any input that would help me out with this.

2. Chris A

Chris A

Fan should blow away from the cpu.. At least every fan I have had. paste

[Edit] I am not Familiar with the Volcano fan.. Sorry..

3. Chris A

Chris A

4. edkom

edkom

Sometimes CPU's overheat when there's TOO MUCH thermal compound between it and the heatsink. You mention thermal tape? I'm not familiar with that. My suggestion is to clean the cpu and heat sink mating surfaces and apply a THIN coating of thermal compound to ONE of the surfaces and re-assemble.
    SEE THE MARCH 2002 ISSUE OF PC GAMER MAGAZINE.
    Big Ed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice