1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by piratetigger, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. piratetigger

piratetigger Thread Starter

I am having overheating problems with my Athlon xp 2000, to such an extent that earlier on my motherboard (Asus A7V 333) shut itself down because the CPU got to hot. Under very little load it runs at around 67C, and just shuts down under full load. My fan is only runnig at around 2000rpm max (spec says it goes upto 4500). The fan speed is controlled by the motherboard. I have thermal compound on my processer and the fan/heatsink is on properly. What can I do?

2. wedor

wedor

The heatsink for that can easily be placed on backwards, the cutout on the base of the heatsink should be towards the "shelf" or raised area on the CPU socket. If this is not your problem then I would suggest a different heatsink.

3. piratetigger

tried that, the heatsink is on the correct way and I still have the problem, the heat sink is also quoted as being sufficient to cool a athlon xp 2000, and it isnt even coming close.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

It is obvious the heatsink cannot be both sufficient and applied properly and still be overheating. Something is certainly amiss. You need to check it over again.

5. wedor

wedor

What size is your power supply?

6. piratetigger

my power supply is 340W
    what am I supposed to check over? the heatsink is on correctly, there is thermal paste on, and the heatsink is connected to the motherboard, what else is there? I am sure the fan should be going faster than 2000rpm max? or am i wrong?

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

Off hand I would say, if the fan is only running @ 2000 rpm's ( mine is running @ 4856 rpm's )I would suggest getting a new fan, I am not familiar with the MBO controlling the speed of the fan but I would check that it is set correctly for the fan, also I would verify that the fan is plugged into the correct plug on the MBO ( plugged into the " CPU Fan " plug, and not into the " Case fan " plug )...

8. wedor

wedor

I thought perhaps if your PSU was too small it could cause a problem but that doesn't seem to be the case. I tried to download the MB manual from Asus but the site is broken, I thought perhaps they had a specific place the CPU fan needed to be plugged into (very likely) to work properly.

9. piratetigger

yep checked it, it is plugged into the CPU_Fan slot. Looks like I should try a new fan, any recommendations

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

I don't have any recommendations for fans ( because it depends on if your are overclocking the CPU and on how much ), but is there any adjustable settings in the BIOS for fan speed ???

11. piratetigger

there is an option in the bios for a tool which alters the fan speed depending on CPU temperature, I have tried it with it on and off and both give the same CPU temp. There is nothing else to do with fan speed.

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok, I see what you are saying now about the MBO controlling the temp...

I get most of my pc parts from here...

www.pricewatch.com

Perhaps some of the other posters will have some better places...

And you might want to try here for what AMD approves for the fans...

www.amd.com

Good luck...

13. rados

rados

hey there...
    any way you can tell us how your cooling system is setup in your PC overall ? how many fans do you have in and how are they set up? I had a similar problem but not as drastic as yours...I only had one fan at the time (blowing air in) so I got another one in the back to pull the hot air out...it kinda created a current right over the whole mobo and it helped..another thing I found out is that the fan in my power supply was sucking the air into the box so I opened it up and "flipped" the fan around so now its just sucking all the hot air from the power supply out...

hope this help...

have fun, D. :D

14. piratetigger

Hello,
    Well I have 4 case fans (1 is a hard drive cooler). 1 at the front is pulling air in and two at the rear are pushing it out. I dont think my case tempriture is a problem however as I was getting the same overheating problem with my case open. I have now resorted to leaving my case open, and putting my big desk fan next to it blowing air in!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice