1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psiberthug, Jul 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psiberthug

psiberthug Thread Starter

i have an amd classic 600 athlon cpu with a ms6195 mb. the cpu will over heat within 3 minutes of booting and shuts down. the voltage and everything is set correctly. this is the 3rd cpu/ mb set that has done this. anyone know whats up? could it be the the power supply? i havent changed this yet. any help would be appreciated.

2. WarC

WarC

What kind of Heatsink/Fan you got on that thing? AMD's produce a ******** of heat.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Did you change to this board and CPU? Is there a chance that the power supply was from other system, or at least ran a different CPU and board? AMD requires power supplies that they approve, meaning that are good enough- the CPU cant tell the difference, tries to run it, that could be one problem... cases are another problem- they need real good ventilation and cooling with AMD classics, the fan on the CPU can be the problem, not spinning, not fast enough, or not adequate to cool this baby down. Also, did you follow directions and use good thermal paste on the CPU?
    Next, we need to know if you put in a heavy duty video card, AGP or PCI, and the amount of and type of RAM....
    Post back and we will get this sorted out with you.

4. Gary R

Gary R

The 1 GHz. Athlon T'bird in mine idles at 134 - 136F.
    Am thinking of getting a Volcano 7+ CPU setup installed, but understand that its very noisy--about same as a Vantec.
    :
    By idle I mean everything except MBM5, Explorer & Systray are off by CTRL-ALT-DEL.
    Have had it hit 147 after about 10 minutes, so can't play games on it very much.... :(

5. WarC

WarC

I've got a 1.33GHz Thunderbird in mine, during gaming it'll hit 135-137, but idling it'll stay around the 120-125 range.

Dynatron BM-L heatsink/fan...pretty nice combo for the price, around $14 (I believe) @ KDComputers.com

Still seems alittle too hot or me, though.

6. carltasha

carltasha

now when I worked on the dary farm a ******** of heat was a product of haveing a deep ******** . but then a big pile of hay did the same thing . Thay calld it spontanious combustion when it fried ,, maby thats it.

7. Gary R

Gary R

:
    I'm not selling anyone a ****load of anything re the overly high temperature's in this computer.
    :
    These are the CPU/case temp's I get with MBM5, and PC HEALTH in the BIOS. not imagination

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Just to add to the other post's...

It looks as if it may have an over temp. feature that may be set too low, can you go in the BIOS and see if it is there and can be changed...

BTW, I have an AMD 550 currently running @ 124.3 F, with a board temp of 73.8 F ( per SISoftware Sandra so it could be + or - a few degrees ) only IE and Outlook running, and I have an AMD approved heatsink and fan with 2 case fans, so yes these puppies do run hot...

9. wedor

wedor

There is no question that these CPU's generate a lot of heat, the temps recorded are not always accurate due to the inaccuraccies of the onboard components. None of the temps reported here are even remotely out of line with norms.

10. Gary R

Gary R

I used to have an URL for a site that listed maximum temp's for Athlon's, but can't find it :(
    However, I seem to recall that they said a Athlon @ 1 GHz. or so shouldn't be ran at temps over 125F.........

11. wedor

wedor

IIRC AMD lists the max temp at 90C, I don't know if anyone has actually run one at that temp. 70C is considered normal max but I think that is way out of whack as well. I'm not really comfortable with anything over 55C myself. I prefer to keep them cooler if at all possible.

12. Gary R

Gary R

Tech at local Computer store winces whenever I mention the 134+ idling temp's, & generally mutters something on order of "Too high. Shouldn't be over 90 - 95 [F]." :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/85922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice