CPU overheats while playing games (Laptop)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

showers749

ello I recently got this laptop (about a month ago) and i have been dealing with heating problems with my CPU while playing games. i know this is not a gaming laptop but i expect it not to overheat (when i say overheat thats like 80C on the CPU cores)when playing on medium graphic setting during the first 15 minutes in world of tanks :\.

I've been reading into ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temp... ) and other source and i know my CPU shouldn't be consistently 80C when playing games

Any help would be welcomed im just really annoyed cause this is fairly new laptop meh. By now i suspect i just bought a bad laptop lel.

for my system specs and real temp https://ibb.co/i5p0L5

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
That's slightly high but not SUPER hot, I mean on a laptop the temps are going to be much different than on a desktop computer, especially if you are playing games.

What's the temps sitting on the desktop while idle?

showers749

lol thx for the response. I've notice you have been active around this community thank you for that.

Anyways my cpu cores sit at around 37C (my actual room temperature is 25C :( maybe its just laptops lol). I've noticed a slight burning smell too should i be worried?. Its funny cause i expect my graphics card to get hot first when playing games (at most 75C) but its the CPU that im having problems with lol. The prime 95 test is pretty good but it doesnt last long; like the whole test is like 5 minutes. Do you have any solution to reducing temps when playing games? i'm kinda desperate i don't want this thing to die in less than five year i might turn off hyperthreading when playing. Maybe i should stop playing on this thing but if there is way to lowers temps please tell me it would help.
(sorry i got really rambly towards the end)

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Well definitely leave on hyper threading as that may help dissipate some of the load onto the virtual cores, so as to not make the system work so hard. That should help dissipate the temps a bit.

If you have a slight burning smell then SOMETHING is getting TOO hot. Does it smell like burning plastic or...??

You may want to check and make sure there's no dirt and dust in any of the vents. I don't know how you use your computer, but you need to make sure, especially when playing games, that you have it on a FLAT surface, like a tabletop, so it can "breathe."

The actual temps you're getting don't sound super bad, BUT the "burning smell" is what has me worried.

lol thx for the response. I've notice you have been active around this community thank you for that.
Yea, I have been here for a good while. Just like helping out when and where I can.

showers749

yeah man i have no idea. its crazy though i even have a weak cooling pad underneath my laptop (. Not sure what burning plastic smells like but there is definitely a smell coming from the laptop while playing a game. um i have no idea how to describe the smell maybe umm a graphics card smell IDK lol. Should i open my laptop up in the near future? i do suspect my laptop in might be dusty inside.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Take a BRIGHT light and shine it into the vents and see if you see a bunch of dust.

showers749

a few specks here and there but nothing (i think ) to be worried about. I'll just keep you posted i plan to test (mean playing games and benchmarking ) on thursday. I got school and stuff to attend to. Thank you again hehehe

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online