CPU paste removal

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jepherz

i just tried to remove some paste from my heat sink and CPU before applying artic silver 5. i used 70% isopropyl and a lint free cloth to do it. the CPU right now looks pretty much brand new. but the heat sink still has very pretty faint marks on it. i been scrubbing it alot and it still wont come off. it doesnt look like much though....but im still wondering if thats ok. should i also put my heatsink and CPU to air dry also? =/ is that necessary? thanks =D

not really necessary. It's like that I beleive thats because of your thumbprints on it. your thumbprint is pretty thick so it can cause smudges on the heatsink. Alcohol and lint cloth should of did the trick. had the same issue on a 3500+ when i used liquid cooling and put to much artic silver on there and cpu performance degraded from 2.2 to 450 mhz.

Heatsinks get the odd abrasion mark and scratch on them.
You don't need to be too fastidious.....

The alcohol will vapourize at room temperature so the surfaces are dry again pretty much instantly.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
As long as you get the thermal compound off, you're good to go. I suggest that you are probably using the wrong alcohol, you need the 99% isopropyl alcohol, it's much better cleaning solvent. Buy it for peanuts at any drugstore.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online