1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cpu power 12 pins - use only 8?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dsign, May 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Dsign

Dsign Thread Starter

Hey!

I'm facing a problem, I recently bought a new cpu and a new motherboard, didn't change my psu though. My motherboard is the aorus ultra and it offers a 12 pin power entry for the cpu, 8 and a separated 4.

My question is : is it OK to use only the main 8 as usual? I'm reading some comments saying that the 4 additional pins are for intense overclocking.

My cpu is an Intel 9900k, will it run fine only powered by the 8? My psu doesn't have any 12 pins cable...

Thanks in advance

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

which model there are at least 4
    Make and model of PSU please

It maybe that the PSU is unsuitable for that board quite apart from the lack of the second 4 pin
    It is pointless taking account of what you read on a google search - there is only one place to refer to and that is the manual for the board

If the CPU does not have the required power it will not work as intended = quite apart from OC

3. Dsign

Dsign Thread Starter

Here's the power supply

I will have to check again, but I don't think the manual did say anything about whether or not it was possible to use only 8 pins.

4. Macboatmaster

So which is the exact model of the board please
    That is the wrong PSU for that board whatever the exact model is and the wrong PSU for such expensive board and CPU

5. Macboatmaster

You want IF you need the 750
    https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/corsair-psu-spec-table.pdf

the
    https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...upply-Units/hxi-series-config/p/CP-9020072-NA
    HXi Series™ HX750i High-Performance ATX Power Supply — 750 Watt 80 Plus® PLATINUM Certified PSU

the difference to what you have is vert important not merely for the 8 + 4 but for the bearing on the fan, yours is just a sleeve bearing
    That means it does not really have a bearing it is simply a shat running in a sleeve
    The one I have linked to has a fluid bearing
    Fan bearing technology
    Fluid Dynamic Bearing

and
    HXi Series™ power supplies give you extremely tight voltage control, virtually silent operation, and a fully modular cable set. They’re a great choice for high performance PCs where reliability is essential.

It may be expensive compared with your CS
    https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...-series-config/p/CP-9020078-UK#tab-tech-specs
    BUT you have to bear in mind the cost of the board and the CPU

This is a good summary of the situation
    The HX over the CS Series Modular.

The CS Series is missing the transient filtering stage and is only rated to deliver its full rated power at up to 40°C. Ripple levels are also higher and it falls short of the hold-up time in the ATX12V Power Supply Design Guide Specifications. It uses a cheaper sleeve bearing cooling fan. Bulk capacitors on the primary are only rated for 85°C. Cheaper Taiwanese electrolytic capacitors are used on the secondary.

The HX Series model is rated to deliver its full rated power at up to 50°C. Ripple levels are a lot lower. A ball bearing cooling fan is used for longer operating life. All of the electrolytic capacitors used on both the primary and secondary are Japanese and rated at 105°C.

Current models are slightly different but the situation remains basically the same.

6. Dsign

Dsign Thread Starter

I understand that my psu is a bit underwhelming considering the rest of my build, but I out of money For now... I'm currently installing windows on the machine and it seems to run fine, for now. I will keep an eye on voltage and Temps for the time until I get a new psu.

Thanks for all the details you gave me, helped a lot, even though I'm risking it :)

7. Macboatmaster

When you reply please type in box that appears when you open the topic
    Please do not reply by clicking that on my post, as you can see this quotes back all I have typed.

The decision to take the risk must of course be yours
    It is NOT a risk I would take.
    The fact it is working fine now means very little if you intend to carry on until it MAY not work fine

I presume you do not wish further advice regarding the board as you still have not posted the requested detail - my post 4 refers

Mark your topic solved please
    Click mark solved on your opening post

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  8. Dsign

Dsign Thread Starter

I'm taking the risk because I don't really have a choice, people expect me to deliver some products and I need the pc for that..

I'm monitoring everything right now, nothing seems out of the ordinary, then again you're probably right, Im risking it.

My motherboard the is gigabyte z390 aorus ultra. As said previously, the manual doesn't say anything about using 8pins only. To be honest the manual isn't that great :')

I could mark this as solved already, since I'm running the machine right now, but I'll wait your next post before doing so.

9. Macboatmaster

The basic fact is this
    Your CPU
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i9-processors/i9-9900k.html
    has 8 cores and 16 threads
    Not strictly true but effectively 8 processors

That board has a special CPU circuitry
    Z390 AORUS ULTRA motherboard uses an 12+1 phases digital CPU power design which includes both digital PWM Controller and DrMOS. These 100% digital controller and additional 8+4 Solid-pin CPU Power Connectors offer incredible precision in delivering power to the motherboard's most power-hungry and energy-sensitive components, allowing enthusiasts to get the absolute maximum performance from the new 9th Generation Intel Core processors.
    * Doubled from 6 phases with current balancing.

See this
    https://www.aorus.com/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10
    and read especially from the heading -
    12*+1 Phase Digital Power Design

I know you can Google and find many references to the fact that you only need the 12 for OC.
    8 will do without OC

I believe that to take advantage of the special features even without OC you need the 8 and the 4.
    I do not think you risk anything by using the 8 only, but I doubt you get the same efficiency.

However to check send a message to Gigabyte asking is the 8 (+ 4 ONLY for OC) or does the 8 + 4 when used together provide the more efficient power delivery to the
    Optimized CPU Power Delivery Plane with 2x Copper PCB even when NOT overclocking and running the i9-9900K base frequency.

I would be VERY interested in their answer

Dsign likes this.
  10. Dsign

Dsign Thread Starter

I will try to get them to tell me about that, keep an eye on this thread, I'll update it whenever they answer me :)

Thanks again for all your inputs!

11. Dsign

Dsign Thread Starter

Here's their reply to my question :

Thank you very much for your inquiry.

Thank you for your interest in GIGABYTE products.

You can use the system with a CPU power supply (8-pin). Only if you want to overclock the system or work with the memory in the XMP profile, it is recommended to use the power supply connections fully for a more stable supply of the system.

The used power supply should correspond to the ATX standard +12v 2.4.

Kind regards
    GIGABYTE-Team Germany

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While it is true that boards with the 8+4 pin aux pw connectors can use just the 8pin [if not overclocking or other stressful tasks] Your current pw supply ie CS series is for a basic build ONLY. If you are using a real video card in this system, you are just asking for a problem. The CS series is fine for what it was designed to do; run a basic system. I use a CS pw supply in my home theater system.

If you are using the intel onchip video, it should be ok however IF you have a real video card installed, get a higher quality pw supply.

13. Dsign

Dsign Thread Starter

So, how should I say this... I'm running a beast of a graphics card, 1080ti. Plus I enabled xmp profiles on my ram.
    I guess I'm indeed asking for a problem there, I will invest in a better psu asap. Any recommendations?

14. Macboatmaster

I agree and indeed as per my post 4 and in greater detail on my post 5

Re your last - I thought I had sent the recommendation for the PSU

and
    of course that according to Gigabyte is reason to ensure 8+4 is connected

15. Dsign

Dsign Thread Starter

Oh yeah you did... I'm tired my bad.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice