Cpu Power Connector Isn't doing it's job

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PLexiety

Hey I'm new to pc building and my friend suggested me to buy pc parts. Biig mistake lol. SO my problem is that I plug everything in to the mother board, but once I plug the cpu power connector into the mother board and power supply it starts for 5 seconds and then shuts off for a few seconds then comes back on in a loop. I did the 24 pin wire and the cpu wire only and same problem. It only works if the cpu wire isn't plugged in. Any suggestions?

AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard
ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard

https://pcpartpicker.com/mr/outletpc/nQc48d
Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage
Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card
EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8GB XC GAMING Video Card

Case
NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power S
upply

Monitor
AOC - AG241QX 23.8" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor

Last edited:
:confused: What "CPU power connector"? Do you mean the wire that goes to the CPU's heatsink fan?

crjdriver

You need to start by posing ALL of your exact parts. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the brand and model#. Do that for all of your parts.

PLexiety

:confused: What "CPU power connector"? Do you mean the wire that goes to the CPU's heatsink fan?
It's a CPU wire that has 8 pins that go into the power supply and the four by four pins that goes into the mother board. It came in the power supply

The CPU (Central Processing Unit) is a large chip usually made by Intel or AMD that goes into the main, usually square socket on the motherboard and usually must have a heatsink and fan mounted on top of it to keep it cool.

PLexiety

The CPU (Central Processing Unit) is a large chip usually made by Intel or AMD that goes into the main, usually square socket on the motherboard and usually must have a heatsink and fan mounted on top of it to keep it cool.
Yes I've put the fan and everything on it and it only works for about few seconds still and then shuts off. It happens only when I plug this wire (CPu power connector 4-pin 8 pin} into the mother board and the power supply .

managed

Allan
Leave it disconnected, it should still work as long as you don't want to overclock the CPU.

managed

Allan
I think you have the Cpu fan plugged into the wrong socket, move it to the one next to the one it's in now, further from the edge of the board.

managed

Allan
How are you turning it on ? You need to connect a switch or short the correct 2 pins on the motherboard to turn it on.

PLexiety

How are you turning it on ? You need to connect a switch or short the correct 2 pins on the motherboard to turn it on.
Im using screw driver to act like a bridge for the pins that turns on the mother board without using the pins. I was doing that to check if everything works. Could plugging those wires give it more power?

managed

Allan
Ok that should work, are you connecting the 2 pins next to the missing pin and on the same side ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online