1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu powerfaliure!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monstarr1, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monstarr1

monstarr1 Thread Starter

I have a amd xp 1600+,with 512 ram and two harddrives! I have recently experienced a crash from my computer, where it seemed to overheat and shut down(or something)
    I thought it was the graphics, so i bought a new one. However, wenever i put either of the two graphic cards that I have with a fan, the computer crashes after a few minutes. I have a older graphic card( old matrox) It has no fan, and the computer does not crash as I put that in! I have a feeling that my powersupply might not be able to "pull" the load, and crashes first the graphics, and then the cpu, since the graphic-card is still runing.
    Does anyone know how to error chech for a problem like this. I dont want to have to spend $$ on getting it fixed, when I can just buy a new powersupply!
    Pleaz help me, I miss my games!!!!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

monstarr1
    If you download Belarc and run it then paste back the results here. Also open the tower and give us make\model and wattage rating if it is marked from Power supply.
    Using your current configuration information and PS Wattage we should be able to tell if power supply is large enough to handle the load.

Dave

PS: Here is a quick chart in the left pane of this Website to help you see what needs consideration.
    http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/advice061001.html

3. monstarr1

monstarr1 Thread Starter

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional (build 2600) ECS K7S5A 1.0
    System Serial Number: 123456890
    Asset Tag: 0123ABC
    Chassis Serial Number: 123456890
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1400 megahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ECS K7S5A 1.0
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01
    Drives Memory Modules c
    119.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    9.24 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

AOPEN CD-RW CRW2440 [CD-ROM drive]
    ATAPI-CD ROM-DRIVE-52MAX [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

MAXTOR 6L040J2 (40.03 GB) [Hard drive] -- drive 0
    ST380021A (80.03 GB) [Hard drive] -- drive 1 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 256 MB
    Slot '1' has 256 MB
    Slot '2' is Empty
    Slot '3' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 7.63 GB 4.43 GB free
    d: (on drive 1) 31.44 GB 538 MB free
    e: (on drive 0) 32.38 GB 2.35 GB free
    f: (on drive 1) 31.44 GB 1.08 GB free
    g: (on drive 1) 17.10 GB 842 MB free

Installed Microsoft Hotfixes Printers
    DataAccess
    Q318202 (details...) on 11/24/02
    Internet Explorer
    Q324929 (details...)
    Q328676 (details...)
    Q328970 (details...)
    Windows Media Player
    WM320920.1 (details...)

Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-250 on \\JONAS-7ZAXZVERE\Printer
    HP DeskJet 610C on \\SPEJDEREN\Lasses - HP DeskJet 610C
    hp deskjet 920c on \\SKAALE\Printer2

Controllers Display
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
    SiS PCI IDE Controller Matrox Graphics Mystique PCI [Display adapter]
    Plug and Play Monitor
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    SiS 7012 Audio Driver
    Standard Game Port
    Communications Other Devices
    SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Network Card MAC Address: 00:D0:09:E5:E5:E2
    Network IP Address: 192.168.0.2 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

Not sure what you mean with wattage, but it is a 350 watt pwersuplly, 230V, 4A, and 50 Hz.
    Does that do you any good?

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

monstarr1
    While you were posting your information I edited my post with a website that will be used to calculate the wattage required.

Will post the findings in a bit. You also can have a look and calculate to.

Dave

5. monstarr1

monstarr1 Thread Starter

If I calculate on a worst case scenario, then the powersupply is to small. That ranges go from, and up to, so I toke the max, and added them togtherm and surely, they do go over 350. So then I need to test it how. By unplugging some other parts(Slave Harddriver, or Cd-rom)? Is that the way to go, or how do I make sure. I mean it look as if I should just buy a 450 watt powersupply, but I wanna be sure!
    Thanx so far Davey

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Here is the breakdown:
    ------------------------------------
    72W 1400 megahertz AMD Athlon XP
    65W ATX Mother Board
    20W MAXTOR 6L040J2 (40.03 GB) [Hard drive] -- drive 0
    20W ST380021A (80.03 GB) [Hard drive] -- drive 1
    35W 512 Megabytes Installed Memory
    35W SiS PCI IDE Controller Matrox Graphics Mystique PCI
    8W SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    35W AOPEN CD-RW CRW2440 [CD-ROM drive]
    30W ATAPI-CD ROM-DRIVE-52MAX [CD-ROM drive]
    8W 3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
    9W Fans x 3
    ----------------

337W Total Current

Add the AGP Video difference 35W and you are close to if not over theoretical maximum under full load.
    ----------------------------------------------

Now is that the cause of your problem? Not very likely since all elements within the equation would have to be running at peak to create that load. Personally I would not chance the "not likely" if it were my system. I always like a bit of breathing room of at least 25 to 30% but that is me and do not like avoidable problems.

The AGP Video card will generate a bit of heat so heat could be a factor and also if you are over clocking the processor then that also is a factor.

Dave

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

monstarr1
    Your testing would be the way to go! Removing some of the easily disable heavyweights and then trying the Video card install would certianly point you in the right direction. Remember to Remove the matrox card in device manager before shutdown and then install of the new video card per manufacturers instructions.

Dave

8. monstarr1

monstarr1 Thread Starter

I tried disconnecting my slave HD, and it seems to sort of work. Windows is runing right ow on the 128 mb, with fan. But I just tried to enter Americas army, and after a couple of minutes the cpu rebooted. So I must still be using to much power or what? I figure that something is broken in the powersupply, so that it cant supply the right amount of power constantly. Does that sound plausible? What do I do next. Try to discon. the floppy, and maybe the cd-rw?

Getting there, slowly but surely!

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

monstarr1
    The cause of many unexplained Restarts are attribited to Power supply instability problems but processor overheating to can cause this to. Have you tried placing a desk fan next to the tower and have it blowing into the opened side and also observe the processor fan speed to see if it looks to be spinning fast enough.
    You could always yank the PS out and have it bench tested at a shop, but personally if your planning on keeping the unit I would upgrade to a decent more powerful PS since your on the edge of max already.

Dave

10. monstarr1

monstarr1 Thread Starter

That is what I think ill do. It does appear to be the powersupply.
    Funny thing though...... I tried to disconnect my floppy and my Cd-rw, to get more power to check the system, but when I disconnect my cd-rw, I get no display on the screen( When restarting) I cant see how the graphics is connected to the cd-rw, but it is, cause I tested it a couple of times and the error is persistant. I am going to test the cpu, with another powersupply tomorrow, to see if the system becomes more stabil, just in case it really is something else. I think im getting the 400 w powersupply anyways, since like you said, I´m almost at max already. I´ll let you know tomorrw what I find out. Same time tomorrow night, day, afternoon, or whatever it is where you are at.
    I appreciate the help Dave. Thanx a lot

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice