1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnnychan, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnnychan

johnnychan Thread Starter

my other computer has been down for a few months now...i really need it back up...first it would boot up...now it wont even stay on...it can't be the motherboard cuz i was just using it the other day with my newer cpu...it might be the power supply or cpu...what causes the computer to not boot up??? it turns on but wont boot...could it be the cpu or something else??? thanks for your help

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Do you get any Beep Codes when you turn it on?

3. mobo

mobo

Try reseating the ram as well as all drive cables, video card and other expansion cards.

4. suesman

suesman

Do you have a "known good" PSU? I had this very problem just not too long ago and it very well was the power supply.

5. johnnychan

well i got this aib power supply 500watts that carries a lifetime warranty...i'll try the power supply that i'm using rite now on the other computer see if that solves the problem if it does then i'll just have to get a new power supply...thanks for all the help

6. johnnychan

no beeps when it turns on...i remember it used to beep when it turns on but thats rite before it'll load to scan memory and drives...

7. johnnychan

it loaded...but when i went into bios or cmos thing to change my processor speed...the computer froze and whouldn't boot up again, but it does come on...

8. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

'motherboard' has you going in the right direction.
    I'd first try the system with the Hard-Drive disconnected and only the CPU,video card,and one RAM stick installed.If the BIOS (CMOS) comes up,try it a couple times to see if it will be consistent.
    If you had been using more than one stick of RAM,try swapping them around and bringing up the BIOS.Once you are consistently getting BIOS on each attempt,try adding the other sticks.
    If you are using mixed value sticks,most units prefer to have the RAM in order as well,running from smallest to largest (DIMM 0 - 64mhz,DIMM 1 - 128mhz,DIMM 2 - 256mhz,etc).

Now,what upgrading did you do with the CPU? From what to what?
    Are you sure the FSB is correct on the board for that CPU?
    Most BIOS will auto detect the CPU and set the multiplier to a default value,but if the FSB is not right (for that CPU) it will not be able to do it correctly.You could be under powering the CPU,or worse...,over powering it.

Keep trying,I think you are close...

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "it can't be the motherboard cuz i was just using it the other day with my newer cpu...it might be the power supply or cpu."

So basically the system runs ok with another CPU and that is the only change? It think that does point to a bad CPU. Unless you are not selecting the right FSB for the CPU - this can be done in the BIOS or via jumpers on the mainboard. You may need to clear the CMOS in order to enter it with a slower CPU - this should drop the FSB to the slowest bus speed.

10. johnnychan

i can't get to the menu to switch the cpu speed or anything...i believe its the cpu...i've tried this power supply i'm using rite now and i'm on an amd xp 1800+ and the other cpu is amd t-bird 1200mhz...i just ordered a new cpu amd xp 2600+ barton so i'll let you guys know how it goes...it should work cuz everything worked with the xp 1800+ cpu...oh yeah i also bought an antec true blue 480watt power supply just incase i need it for the new cpu...=X

11. mobo

mobo

Have you tried the del key immediately after the pc starts ?

12. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

What model motherboard are you using?
    I want to look it up and see what the on-board jumper settings are...

13. johnnychan

k it was the cpu all along...now i got a new problem...i just updated my bios to support my new processor amd xp 2600+ barton 333fsb...and my computer keeps giving me memory errors...i believe i have pc2100 ddr ram and thats like 266ddr, now its reading it as 333ddr when the computer boots up...do you think i need to contact abit to see whats up with that or do i need faster ram???

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Faster RAM would be nice, but in the BIOS you may be able to set the RAM to run at 266MHz(133), while keeping the CPU at 333Mhz(166).

15. johnnychan

wont let me change that...=/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice