1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Processor Upgrade

Discussion in 'Games' started by CDBongo, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

I'm trying to get my computer fast enough to play some old(er) games. I recently upgraded from a 32mb pci geforce 2 video card to a 128mb agp8X geforce 6 card, and from 256mb of pc 2100 (266mhz) ddr ram, to 1gb of pc 3200 (400mhz) ddr ram, but I did not get the performance boost that i was expecting. In fact, my games run a little bit more than two times (2X) the frames per second, and i was expecting to get more than that. My computer still struggles with 2004 era games such as halo, need for speed underground (1 and 2), Jedi Academy, and lord of the rings: return of the king. In fact, my computer can't push 30fps in any of those games at 640X480 with all settings at lowest. MY 3d mark scores are: 7901 in 3dmark 01, and a mere 1104 in 3dmark 05.

So i was wondering: Would upgrading my celeron to say a pentium D 805 (2.66ghz), or a pentium 4 531 (3.0ghz), give me decent performance in the games i mentioned at 800X600 - 1024 X 768 with some settings turned to medium.

In short: Is my cpu bottlenecking my system and will i get a major performance boost by upgrading it?

Thanks

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well, err umm... I assume you checked for compatability for your upgrades right?
    I mean your motherboard does support those right?

And you set your AGP to 8X in the bios?
    As well as seeing if your CPU is running at the right clock speed?
    If not, your RAM won't be. (My RAM is also 400MHz, but my CPU is at 333, so it has stepped down to match the CPU's 333. )

I run NFS 1, 2 and most wanted.. I run most my games at 800X600 and Med to high detail.. I do get some "jerkiness" but still playable.
    Right now I'm running Oblivion at a little above the default medium setting at 800X600
    A bit "jerky" but looks nice. (y)

All without a working second level (external) cache. :eek:
    At least that's what Everest shows, and its disabled in my BIOS..

Edit.. I googled your chip, but can't find anything for a 305.. The 330 runs at a 533 clock, but not sure what yours is.

3. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

Yes, i've checked everything, everything seems to be working fine, my hardware just is very crappy. My celly is a 330, I'm not really into the whole number thing to dumb down processor selection to stupid computer-illiterate people anyway so i just go by mhz. My question still remains: will a pentium d 805 (which IS the second fastest compatible cpu for my motherboard) drastically increase performance for my computer.

I found a really cool (but somewhat limited) comparison utility on futuremark's website that lets me view posted benchmarks. I have found that people with celerons and 6200's are getting slightly better scores than i am, but they have done overclocking and i haven't. My results seem reasonable seeing that I haven't overclocked. I also checked results with a pentium d, and saw people getting 2-3X better than me on 3dmark both 01 and 05. Do you think that it is a reasonable assumption that i can expect at least a 2X boost from upgrading my celeron to a pentium d?

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Could be.. I don't know about Intel stuff, but am told I would see a big improvement just by going one chip higher. From the AMD 2500 to the 2600.. Not sure, I should have the 2600 in by next weekend.

Also the 'RAMdec' speed of your video card helps allot. I had an nVidia 5200 128MB card, but went to an ATI 9800 128MB.. The ATI tests twice as fast but has the same 128 RAM..

So, if you can get a good price... Sure, put the fastest stuff your PC can handle in it. Why not. :D

Edit; Well, it turns out my system sucks.. :( I got a 7860 with 3dMark 01...
    Others with same setup got well into the 14,000 range.. I think my major hang up is not having a second level cache. It should be 512, but for some reason I can't use it. Main reason for wanting to try the 2600 chip.

Though, even with results like that, I'm playing some very recent games at pretty good detail. (y)

5. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

it's definantly the celeron. when i hade a 2.2 ghz celeron, i upgraded the mobo, processor, and nothing else.I got a AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+ and i overclocked it to 2.2ghz. i got wayyyyyy higer framerates in all my games.i went from 15 fps in Americas Army to probably 60 or 70 (outside on the bridgecrossing level). So the CPU probably is a major bottleneck. What is the socket number on the celeron? if it is 775 you could just throw a pentium 4 in there (if it's compatible with the motherboard chipsets)

6. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

wow, i did some bios mods and enabled some stuff with my agp and retested and guess what my 3d mark score is?
    7860!
    Odd, but if you say that with a score like that you can play games alright, then i guess i'll start up some of my games again and re-evaluate, and mabey then see about the pentium d, (which is by far and away much MORE than "one chip higher")

Keep my posted man, I'd like to hear about how your cpu works out for you. Pm me or something.

7. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Wow, what are the odds of the same score?... Hmm.
    Yeh, seeing mine so slow, I really can't wait to try the 2600 chip..
    I hope it's just a bad chip, and not something else..
    I've tried almost everything, it has to be the chip. :rolleyes:

8. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

Yeah, thats about the logic I've come to with my scores so low too. I'll hopefully pick up a P4 or PD When the price is right, RIght now I can play most games from the 2002 era at full settings at high resolutions, the only bad thing about high res with crappy games is that the higer resolution seems to just bring out the crappiness more :(
    Oh well.
    Hope you're new cpu works good, I hope that you get good results from upgrading your're cpu.
    (Then I'll know that i should upgrade mine) J/k

9. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Yeh, well if it turns out to be a bad chip I get the 2600 free as a replacement..
    There could be a 3200 out there, but not sure when that one will be available..

That would be the fastest chip my MoBo will take.

I will definitely let ya know what turns up... Good luck to you too.

10. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

I haven't forgotten.. It seems my PC guy has disappeared.
    Guess he took an unscheduled vacation for Halloween or something. :rolleyes:

So... When I do finally get my chip in I'll let ya know how things stand.

11. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

Alright, sounds good
    Just post whenever your computer man shows up.

12. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Finally! :D
    Got the 2600 in yesterday.
    Fired it up at the guys house and no more crashes with the cache. (y)
    For the first time ever I could load Oblivion, then close and load other games.

I ran a first short test with Oblivion at "Ultra High".. And it worked.
    Still some jump, but nothing like before...

Been busy since then so haven't had much time to run more tests...
    Maybe I can fit in another 3D test..

13. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

OMG!!!! What a difference.. :D :D (y)

3DMark 2001;
    7860 with the bad 2500 not using it's second level cache..

13,354 with the 2600! (y) I didn't even reboot first, so who knows what was running in the back..

14. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

Wow, that's amazing
    almost doubled!

I hope that I can get that kind of performance from a Pentium D 805 2.6ghz

It has 2 X 1MB cache compared to my celeron's 256kb.

I already play oblivion at ultra high, just at the lowest res, and i have everything turned to max, i know it only goes at 10 - 20 fps but oblivion isn't an fps game anyway, and my brain can fill in the extra gaps in the frames when i'm covering terrain.

I was going to add in an X850pro, but now that the 8800gtx and 8800gts have came out, and the prices haven't dropped at all, to spend money on already outdated hardware is just a waste of money, and i should probably just put in a pentium 4 or a pentium d if prices drop, and save my money for a decently priced rig when the radeon X2 cards come out. (Not that i care which sm4 card i get, i just wan't to wait until there is compitition for price drops)

15. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Yeh, it got better but I think it exposed another issue now..
    I put oblivion to High or Ultra and after about 15 min or so it will BSOD.
    At medium it runs fine..

strange huh?..

I guess it could be the game or video card now.... Shouldn't be the card, but who knows.
    I'll need to test more games to find out..

Solved all the "jumps" at medium though. (y)

Oh and just an FYI for anyone looking at 2500 or 2600 chips they have a second level cache of 512... That's pretty high for how old they are..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!