1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cpu removal help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tswann75, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

I have recently decided to take the cpu out of my laptop (Acer aspire r11) but the cpu is lile glued to the motherboard. I am no professional with computers. How do i remove it without damaging it?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is not glued; most likely soldered to the board ie non-replaceable unless you are highly skilled with a soldering iron.

3. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

I am by no means professional witg a soldering iron but i do own one.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then either give up or take it to a shop for the swap.

5. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

I will send a picture when i get home i dont know if it soldered or im being to fragle with it.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What is the exact SNID number and serial number on your Acer Aspire R11 notebook?

I seriously doubt its processor is user removable and can be upgraded.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Frank is correct. Even IF it is possible to remove the processor, it is doubtful your laptop will support anything faster. Just because it is the same socket does not mean the cpu is supported. Unless whatever processor you want to install was an option when you purchased this laptop, it is highly doubtful that your swap will work.

Acer products are pretty low end and as such, upgrades, etc are [generally] not available.

8. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

Im currently at school i can give you it later.

9. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

Im not planning on putting any faster one in it i just want it out to test on an old pc

10. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

This is the cpu im wanting to remove.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can see where the cpu is attached to the board. You are not getting it out.
    Next that is a cpu with an exposed die ie no heat spreader. The die is easy to crack. I would STOP messing with it; that is if you want it to work again. Carefully reinstall the cooler and put it back together. Make sure you clean both the cpu die and the cooler with 99% alcohol; apply new thermal compound and reassemble.

12. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help but am really not concerned about the pc because the screen has been broke for a while and it ia just very slow so i just took it apart for something to do.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Even if you somehow get that Cpu out of the laptop it is extremely unlikely that it would fit and work in a Desktop motherboard.

You would be much better of researching what will work and then buying a Cpu on Ebay. If the desktop motherboard is old chances are the Cpus it can use are cheap to buy.

14. Tswann75

Tswann75 Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the help im looking at a laptop right now thats only $180 and has core i5 and 6gb of ram. Might be a little upgrade lol.

15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok. Sounds like a decent buy if it works properly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice