1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU running hot!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stevenpd, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stevenpd

Stevenpd Thread Starter

I built a computer recently. I uploaded smartfan into it today and apparently the CPU is running on average 51 degrees celcius!!! Thats a little too hot for me, especially because i was planning on overclocking it soon. Its a Pentium D 820. Any suggestions as to the best way to cool down my CPU better. I don't want it running that hot, and the other thing is it makes my CPU fan run at 100% which is really noisy and it drives me crazy. Please help.

~~~Steven

2. happyrck

happyrck

you didn't say so...did you put any thermal grease between heatsink and fan...do you have any extra case fans...are they working

3. Jones

Jones

I think you meant to say between the processor and heatsink.

There needs to be a thin layer of thermal compound (Arctic Silver 5 is the best stuff) between the processor and heatsink.

4. Jack Goa

Jack Goa

Yeah! I had the same problem and change the heat compound, it brought my cpu temperature down by 20 degrees Celcius...

5. happyrck

happyrck

yep...brain fart:eek: :eek:

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    For an Intel Pentium D with stock cooling thats a perfectly normal temp.

7. Stevenpd

Stevenpd Thread Starter

I have thermal grease, but its that sheet that they put on the fan when you buy it. Its like a pad more than grease like my amd has. Should i try replacing the thermal paste, and if so what steps should i take and what thermal paste should i use? (i do have some left over from my amd processor) Thanks

~~~~Steven

8. happyrck

happyrck

no the pad is fine...did it have a plastic sheet over the pad...did you remove it...do you have any extra case fans

9. Stevenpd

Stevenpd Thread Starter

i don't have extra case fans, should i get some?

10. happyrck

happyrck

the case should have 2 fans...1 on the back up high as you can put it blowing out...2nd low in the front blowing over hard drive into the case...if your case is set up for them get the 120 MM fans ..they turn slower and are quieter...but 80MM fans will work...look for the highest cubic feet of air with the lowest DCBs
    these are in addition to the power supply fans

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

51C for that processor is not extremely excessive. The max temperature for a D820 is 64.1C.

I believe happyrck is correct in recommending additional chassis fans. If you have additional unused fan mounting points I would definately install additional fans. I have seen people "chase" higher than normal CPU temperatures by changing the CPU cooler when the actual problem was poor chassis airflow.

If you are going to eventually overclock you may want to consider adding a "blowhole" in the removable side panel and installing an additional 80mm, 92mm or 120mm side fan. In a TAC chassis (Thermally Advantaged Chassis) manufacturers install an "air horn" to pull additional cooling air into the chassis. I always remove the "air horn" and just replace it with a fan (same size as the "air horn") pulling air into the chassis. It's neater, provides more airflow and the "air horn" is not in the way. If you prefer an "air horn" there are many available.

If you decide to add a "blowhole" to your case and don't have the tools or expertise to make the cut in the side panel, any local machine shop should be able to perform the cutting for you. Just take the fan or "air horn" you want to mount to them and tell them where you want it mounted on the panel.

Here is a short article regarding "blowhole" installation and this company also provides that service if you desire. http://www.directron.com/hole.html

If you do cut a "blowhole" you would definately want to cover the fan with a grill or air filter (I personally prefer a filter, but that's strictly up to you). There are numerous grills and filters available online in all different designs, colors, sizes, etc.

12. Stevenpd

Stevenpd Thread Starter

the idea of cutting a hole in my case doesn't sound fun to me :(. I think i'll try adding a fan. What about liquid cooling though? Would that be something i should consider investing in?

~~~Steven

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Liquid cooling? Massive overkill for the most part. Unless the temperatures get quite a bit hotter, why go to all the trouble?

14. happyrck

happyrck

beside the inherent danger of liquid in a electrical environment and the added cost and then the PITA to install it

15. Stevenpd

Stevenpd Thread Starter

Well i guess i have to buy i fan because the one in my old computer is an 80mm and won't fit on the 120mm spot. I've been looking at lots of fans. Don't i want high RPM, low DBA noise level, and whats with CFM i'm not really sure what i want. Anyone wanna help me out with all thsese confusing acronyms. If anyone has any suggestions for a 120mm case fan feel free to throw em out at me. Thanks.

~~~~Steven

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice