1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU running slower than it should

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by funelson, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. funelson

funelson Thread Starter

I have a Pentium III 933 mHz chip with a 133 FSB. A while back it started to spontaneously restart the whole computer from the Windows XP login screen just as if I pressed the reset button. It would do this several times (up to 10 or 20 times) then finally boot into Windows. After a few months of this, it gave me a blue screen and refused to boot up. I bought a second hard drive and reinstalled windows XP and it cured the problem for about a month. Then it started the whole cycle over again. The only way I have found around this is to go into the BIOS and set the processoer speed lower. I first went to 700 mHz and now I am set at 466mHz with a 66mhz FSB. Can anyone tell me what is going on, and more importantly, how can I get my 933mHz/133FSB back? Is it the chip and do I need a new one? (Someone iI know suggested that.) Thanks a lot for any help at all.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Not knowing much about the system, I'd hazard a guess that your processor may not have adequate cooling. Of course, something may have failed.

I'd start by reseating all the RAM, processor, and expansion cards. Don't forget the cables too. Make sure that the heatsink on the processor has thermal compound and is aligned correctly. Of course, you should check that the P/S and CPU fans are running.

3. funelson

funelson Thread Starter

I am not sure about the CPU running hot. The restarts occured when I first turned on the machine, after being off all night in a cool room.

4. olivercoles

olivercoles

Umm, do you have a Promise hard disk controller?

This happens when I OC my 2.4Ghz and aparently it's because of my promise controller.

Did this happen just when you installed XP or did it happen with other OS's??

It may take some time... buttt, email the manufactures of you motherboard, hard disk controler (if you have a separate one), and of course Microsoft.

Good luck

5. funelson

funelson Thread Starter

Okay, I am going to try and find out if I have a Promise hard drive controller and at what temperature my CPU is running. Can anyone tell me how to go about this? Thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!