1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU runnong at 1200 and not 1600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eee-tee, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eee-tee

eee-tee Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    I seem to have 2 probs with my PC, which are probably connected.

Firstly, when I put a stick of DDR memory into the apprpriate slot, it hangs just before the the XP welcome screen, it is only successful when I use one of the DIMM slots.

Secondly, I can only get it to boot up when its running at 1200 Mhz, and not 1600, as it should be. Any advise as to what I can do?

2. haplo210

haplo210

go into your bios and choose the option for loading the optimized settings that will fix the problem of it not reading the processor correctly

3. eee-tee

eee-tee Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply
    Can you just confirm what you are refering to?
    Is it the "Load set defaults" in the section on the right in BIOS or something else?

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

My guess is that you have a ECS 75SA motherboard. You cannot mix the two types of memory. The default options in the bios for this board are wrong. You need to go to the processor setup screen and change the values to 133/133 to get the full speed.

5. eee-tee

eee-tee Thread Starter

Dave- Infact its an Asus A7A266-E.
    I'm not sure I follow what you mean.
    Haplo advised me to change the :
    IN THE bios, BUT I'm unsure which one that is exactly.
    Were you refering the the memory problem or the CPU issue?

6. DaveBurnett

I was referring to both. Does your motherboard support both DDR AND DIMM memory. If so it can only use one at a time, so if you already have some dimm in there you can only expand it with Dimm. I don't think you can possibly physically put the memory in the wrong type of slot, but I might be wrong as I've never thought to try it.
    It sounds as though you have Dimm, not DDR.
    The second half referred to the memory speed which is a seperate issue. If you enter the BIOS you will have several options, one of which is Reset BIOS defaults and one wiil be Use Optimal Settings (or words to that effect). Of the two you should choose the Use Optimal Settings to give the fastest speed. There may still be a problem with the speed. In which case enter the Bios again and look for a screen that allows you to change the memory and CPU frequency settings. You need to set them both to 133 to get the full speed out of your processor.

7. haplo210

haplo210

sorry there should be another option...load defaults and load optimized. choose optimized if its there.

8. eee-tee

eee-tee Thread Starter

Dave- No, the M/B definately takes both DDR and dimm (or is it SD? anyway, the type slower than DDR), the issue is not that I'm trying to run with both types, but that when I put some of the DDR back in, it hangs.

Re: in the BIOS, I can find no option for optimized settings, although I can find the other one. Should I be looking in section 5 /"exit" or elsewhere? Or maybe its under something else?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    As far as I can tell, the mobo can only take the PC2100 memory.

As for the BIOS thing. I had the same problem (halpo can vouch for this) where my 2700+ was reading as a 2100+ (then 1900+ when I screwed up and had to reset the BIOS). On the first screen, next to Load Default Settings, there should be one like Optimize Settings. But judging by the mobo not listed on Asus's website, the mobo may not have the option. You will need to do that manually.

10. DaveBurnett

Have you got the manual for that motherboard. If not, do as I have just done and download it from the ASUS web site (I had to use the German site because all the others were busy)
    It clearly tells you about the memory and how to set the CPU speed. The options you need are under the Advanced tab and the manual describes them better than I could.

11. DaveBurnett

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    page 8 3/4 down states:

caution: do not use DDR and SDRAM modules simultanously.

Also what CPU do you have? You didn't mention the brand

13. DaveBurnett

AMD it IS a socket A

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    yeah i know that i just wanted to make sure what CPU he has.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!