1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU runs at 100% when charging laptop battery, when not charging its fine. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jay2511, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jay2511

jay2511 Thread Starter

Hi...

I am having a problem with my laptop computer. I figured out that my laptop, when being charged or using the Power Outlet, runs at 100% CPU at times, and slows me down when running and working on some open applications. At first I thought I had tons of spyware or even a virus, and even posted a Hijackthis file here. Nothing was found.
    I figured out that my cpu runs at 100% when using the power outlet, or when my computer is chargnig. When I unplug the powercord and use the battery life, everything runs GREAT!!!!! my cpu drops to a normal 4-8% usage with multiple applications running. WEIRD huh? Can anyone relate to this ?? Is this and indication that my battery is going bad???? Can someone help me with this or suggest what is going on? I am running windows XP home edition, and have a compac presario 1500 series. Pent 4..

HELP!!!

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Do ctl-alt-del to bring up TaskManager.
    Double Click on the CPU heading to sort descending.

What task(s) are at the top?

3. jay2511

jay2511 Thread Starter

Hi Whitphil..

the top ones are system Idle process, , odhost.exe, WPC54CFG.exe, and iexplore.exe..

right now I just turned on my comp, and the cooling fan is not on, and the process is at 6%,, so not up yet to 100%.. It gets there after my comp is on, then I unplugg, and it works super fast, when charging the battery again, it slows down, so much!!!

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Well, idle process (when nothing is running) is expected to be at the top.

Odhost is suspicious and most likely malware.

WPC54CFG is a utility related to your LinkSys Adapter.

First, download, install and run SpyBot
    Before doing the first scan, use the update feature to get the latest copy of the definitions.
    Then, allow it to remove what it finds.

Reboot

Download, install and run HiJackThis

Copy/paste the created LOG file back here for review.

5. lister

lister

Are you saying that the 'system Idle process' is running at 100% CPU usage?
    This means that your PC is not using any or very little resources. perfectly normal.

6. jay2511

jay2511 Thread Starter

Thanks Whitphil..

Will follow your reccomendations. Thanks..

Lister, system idle process does run at is normal 98-100% cpu usage, and do know that it is normal... However the problem lies when my computer is being charged with the power outlet. It slows down my cpu usage, and have to disconnect in order to get good fast multi-tasking power. =/

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/355011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice