1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU shut down due to temp of 44c

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Relique, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Relique

Relique Thread Starter

I have a computer that is shutting down after the CPU hits 44c every time. The CPU was just installed and I am wondering what could cause the issue? Did I get a bad CPU? The chip is a 3400+ AMD socket 754.

2. NightLord

NightLord

Has this been happening ever since you got the new CPU?
    What type of processor did you have before?
    Does BIOS identify the CPU properly?
    Usually a system shuts down well before there's a danger to overheat your components. 44C for an AMD is not much at all so that should not be the problem.
    I'd say run a CPU test first, then a memory test and see what happens.
    Did you install any new components apart from the CPU?

Cheers

/NL

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While that is a little warm for an amd64, it is well within specs.

Check your bios to see if it is configured to shutdown at a given temp. You can mod the temp for auto shutdown. I would set it at around 65C or so.

4. Relique

Relique Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys, one question, I would like to run the CPU test, how do I do that? Is it a program? If so, where can I get it?

5. RedHelix

RedHelix

I use CPU Burn-In and run about 3 or 4 instances of it. That heats up my CPU pretty quick. It's usually the first result on a google search.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Another is prime95; do a google search it is available for download from many sites.

7. Flags

Flags

Relique: Did you install this CPU yourself or have someone do it for you? Or was it preinstalled at the factory?
    If the CPU shuts down at 44 C. I would suspect that the Thermal pdr or the Thermal grease was not installed properly and you may have to dismount the CPU fan/heatsink and clean up whatever was used and then apply the thermal grease properly. Google for instructions.
    This happened to me just a short while ago on a new rig. Replacing the grease solved the problem.

8. GyverX

GyverX

Relique I need you to answer a few questions
    Whats the mother board you are using?
    Did you install this CPU yourself?

Do you know basics of operating a Bios/CMOS Menu?
    This problem sounds fairly simple to solve as it may be a setting in your Bios to shut the computer down in the event of he CPU reaching 44c degrees. I have that same CPU and I am running at 41c right now. Before Receintly cleaned me computer and reseated my CPU I was getting 130f degrees on that CPU.

Get back to us and we'll see what we can do

9. Relique

Relique Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the additional input. This computer ( I guess I should have specified better) is a customers that bought the CPU from me, I was trying to get some information on what could have caused the problem, I installed it on a gigabite Motherboard (to verify that the chip worked) before shipping and the chip worked properly. The gentilman that purchaced the chip from me described the problem, I never herd about this type of a problem before and I figured this would be a good place to get some information. I will try to get some more information from him as to what motherboard he is working with and his bios settings.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice