CPU socket help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnny2012

I want to know if i have a cpu that has a pin set of 940 can i use a pin set of 939 to upgrade my CPU.

Socket AM2.

What i have is an old AMD Athlon 64 3800+
package: Socket AM2 940

would i be able to use a 939 ?

This is my computer specs from HP.com
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00910226&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3411015

Socket type: AM2
TDP: 65 watt
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

• Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 4800+ (up to 65 watt TDP)
  • Athlon 64 up to 3800+
  • Sempron
Ok so i use a program called CPU-Z i uploaded an attachment of what it shows.

Ok so i don't really understand how this works. do i need to match AM2 socket type or do i need to match 940 pins with 940 ? I want to use a 939 for a better CPU this is what i want to use.

TypeCPU / Microprocessor Market segmentDesktop FamilyAMD Athlon 64 X2 Model number ? 4800+ CPU part numbersADA4800DAA6CD is an OEM/tray microprocessor
ADA4800CDBOX is a boxed microprocessor Stepping codesACBWE CCB2E CCBWE LCB9E LCBIE Frequency (MHz) ? 4800+ (rated)
2400 (real)
Clock multiplier ? 12 Package939-pin lidded organic microPGA
1.57" x 1.57" (4 cm x 4 cm) AMD Package number28820 SocketSocket 939 Introduction dateMay 31, 2005 Price at introduction$1001

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%204800+%20-%20ADA4800DAA6CD%20%28ADA4800CDBOX%29.html

On my HP web site for my computer saids i can upgrade to a Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 4800+ (up to 65 watt TDP) 4800+ and this is the only one i found that is a 939 pin ?

Also what type of power supple should i need also. i only have 250w in my PC

I would be great if anyone can help me please ?

Attachments

leroys1000

Banned
No,939 CPU's are not designed to run in AM2 940 motherboards.
Power supply depends an the hardware in the machine,but a 250 watt
is pretty low.
As far as I know,HP uses standard ATX power supplies depending on
whether the system is full size or small form factor.
Looks like that tower is ATX but make sure it is bot a microatx power supply.
This should be the 65 watt processor you need.
http://www.aztekcomputers.com/ADO4800IAA5DOR-AMD-2447862.html
You can probably find a better deal on ebay.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
No, you must use AM2 or potentially AM2+ or AM3, but being an HP you will find limited info on compatible CPU's. Pin counts go with the socket type. And you must also match the TDP in this case and then you must also make sure the BIOS supports the model even if physically it appears compatible. With name brand systems its best not to upgrade the processor as it can become a big pain; this is an advantage of a custom built system where motherboard manufacturer's specifically list the exact models of supported processor and offer BIOS upgrades to support newer models.

If you want to find a compatible processor see these Windsor processors with a 65Watt TDP listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._.28energy-efficient.2C_F2_.26_F3.2C_90_nm.29

You don't need to change the PSU to switch to a different PSU, but you would if you were to upgrade the video card or add several additional components.

johnny2012

Quote: No,939 CPU's are not designed to run in AM2 940 motherboards.
Power supply depends an the hardware in the machine,but a 250 watt
is pretty low.
As far as I know,HP uses standard ATX power supplies depending on
whether the system is full size or small form factor.
Looks like that tower is ATX but make sure it is bot a microatx power supply.
This should be the 65 watt processor you need.
http://www.aztekcomputers.com/ADO480...D-2447862.html
You can probably find a better deal on ebay. Quote.

Do you think it worth upgrading my system ?

----------------
Quote: No, you must use AM2 or potentially AM2+ or AM3, but being an HP you will find limited info on compatible CPU's. Pin counts go with the socket type. And you must also match the TDP in this case and then you must also make sure the BIOS supports the model even if physically it appears compatible. With name brand systems its best not to upgrade the processor as it can become a big pain; this is an advantage of a custom built system where motherboard manufacturer's specifically list the exact models of supported processor and offer BIOS upgrades to support newer models.

If you want to find a compatible processor see these Windsor processors with a 65Watt TDP listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...F3.2C_90_nm.29

You don't need to change the PSU to switch to a different PSU, but you would if you were to upgrade the video card or add several additional components. Quote.
----------------------

Do you think it worth upgrading this system or should i just buy new PC ? I have about 1200$ to spent and i want a good gaming computer to play BF3. This computer has only 1 core so it can't really handle that game. So i was thinking about upgrading the system but from what it sounds like from what your saying not really worth it ?

I am sorry for asking so many question. If so buying a new computer what would be a good deal ? I am not really understand what is best. So i ask for help because it been very long time since i did anything with computers. Everything has upgraded so much. Thank you for your help as well to both of you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online