1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Socket #

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mshabsovich, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mshabsovich

mshabsovich Thread Starter

I have a question about CPU's in general. Ignore Operating Frequency.

What is the difference between the different socket types on CPU’s? Is the higher the # the better? Is there performance difference?

What does L1 Cache: 12KB+16KB L2 Cache: 1MB Mean?

I want to build myself a PC and I am trying to figure out what CPU to get.

All I need to know is this. I can go from there.

2. kronus

kronus

Socket number is really just a designation. You should look for the CPU or motherboard you want, and match them. Look for say, an Athlon FX, figure out it's socket, and buy a board that has that socket.

L1 and L2 caches are small banks of very high speed (read: expensive) ram that the cpu has exclusive domain over. The cpu will store instructions there for quick reference. The higher the amount of L1 the better. Newer cpus have three caches. L1 is fastest, L3 slowest. L1 is smaller, and more expensive.

3. mshabsovich

4. kronus

kronus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116198

That one, the cheaper one, is better. The L2 cache double the size, and the processor will sit on a better socket. Think of the future, you'll be able to slap a dual core cpu in that socket, and be able to run 64 bit software when if finally becomes available. The socket is LGA 775.

5. mshabsovich

what is a good asus motherboard that supports LGA 775 and has an AGP slot, and is able to use both the older IDE HD's and the newer SATA drives?

6. kronus

kronus

I'd say any Asus board. Have a look around at newegg or your choice of suppliers. Click on the detailed descriptions, it will tell you what the board supports. Seems you know what you're looking for.

7. mshabsovich

most of the LGA 775 motherboards support PCI E. i am happy with my 9800 pro and i do not want to get rid of it. so i want to find a motherboard that has an AGP slot.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice