1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU speed wrong, can't change BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cornfused, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cornfused

Cornfused Thread Starter

My old CPU was 2.40GHz and I replaced it with a 2.53GHz. System information and BIOS still show it as 2.40GHz. One thread said go into BIOS and change the CPU setting but I can't do that in my BIOS, it just states what the CPU is and the speed, it doesn't give the option to change anything. Is there anything I can do, or is this enough information? I have XP SP2 and an ASUS P4G800-V motherboard. Will clearing the RTC RAM do anything for me? I'm looking at the manual for my board and it mentions that. I know just enough about computers to mess things up really bad, that's why I'm here asking for help first.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Look in the bios and see if there is a selection to
    enable advanced settings.
    It should give you CPU control.

3. Cornfused

Cornfused Thread Starter

The only option I have is disable or enable Hyper-Threading technology. The manual says the CPU Configuration menu shows CPU info auto-detected by BIOS. I don't understand why it is still auto-detecting a 240GHz CPU.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  5. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

the bus speed for 2.53cpu may be different to the speed for the 2.4 cpu it may be necessary to access the mother board to reset the bus speed.check the mother board manual..

6. Cornfused

Cornfused Thread Starter

My BIOS is v02.54. edit on the BIOS. It was dated 2003 and I found some updated BIOS at their site but nothing mentions being able to change CPU speed/type.

edit: That can't be the BIOS version, the newest version doesn't even go that high. The balck screen that shows the BIOS version flashes so quickly I can't read the BIOS version. Is there a way to freeze that screen so I can see it?

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

For some reason the above link doesn't go to the page with my BIOS on it, it goes to the download support home page.:confused:

If you put Motherboard/Socket478/P4G800-V in the pulldowns and hit search it'll take you there after selecting WinXP for an OS.

I haven't pulled the CPU out to look at it, it has to be this one, based on the specs:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/Intel-Pentium%204%202.53%20GHz%20-%20RK80532PE061512%20(BX80532PE2533D).html

The description from the packing list says:
    Intel Pentium 4 2530 512K 533MHZ BUS 478 P4 OEM 2.53GHZ

7. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

You can press the pause key to try to stop it,
    then press enter to continue.

8. Antimath

Antimath

Cornfused,

Have you changed the switches on your motherboard? It might be that you can't go beyond 2.40Ghz without doing this.

If you have then, yes, as others have said, check your BIOS version, and that this gives support for your new CPU.

The BIOS version for my old IBM PC looked more or less something like this: PDKT22A. The executable file to flash EPROM the selfsame 'code'. I know on entering the Config/Setup at boot up it read with a few extra characters. This is an IBM BIOS, how yours might appear I don't know, but it is perhaps less apparent than v02.54 is my point.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/748761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice