1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cpu stop after overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soulfly, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soulfly

soulfly Thread Starter

I have an athlon xp 1800+ processor with a MSI K7N2 Delta2 LSR nForce2 motherboard. After i adjust the multiplier from default settings of my board to 8.0x, my pc didn't boot anymore. Worst is my pc won't boot at bios also. Just a blank screen after turning on/restarting my computer.

My question is, what happend to my pc?
    Is there any chances that my pc will work again? Is my processor not working anymore?

I appreciate any help/suggestion here.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reset the BIOS (either by jumper or remove the battery for 15 minutes with the PC unplugged).

If you have reset any jumpers that you may have overclocked with, and reset the BIOS, then your CPU could be dead.

The significant increase in core temperature of the CPU can be fatal, in seconds. Not common, most overclocking will shorten the CPU life but not usually terminate it so quickly.

That is one of the risks you take with overclocking. If the chip could safely and reliably operate at a faster speed, it would have been sold as such.

3. winbob

winbob

4. soulfly

soulfly Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply.

I set the multiplier to 8.0. I also set the FSB to 166.
    Before this things happened, I saw my processor in windows running only in 1100+ (close to that) under my MSI mobo. Before my mobo was MSI, I used ASUS A7V333 mobo w/ same processor and it was running on 1533. Now, after changing my mobo last december w/ this MSI mobo, the default setting of my mobo adjust it to 1100+. So I adjust the FSB (from 133 to 166mhz) and the multiplier (from default to 8.0).

I did reset my cmos but still the pc doesn't boot. Is there any solution to make my pc start working again?

I was looking for a new AMD processor (in any case that my processor will hibernate forever). Athlon XP is being (70% phase out) here in our country (philippines). Although I still want an Athlon XP processor, is the Sempron processor is really that good? I heard that the L2 cache of Sempron (256kb) is lower than Athlon XP (512kb). I used my pc mainly for projects (software development) using VB.Net, Bloodshed, Borland etc, opensource programming (using linux os) and also for gaming (i used an ati radeon 9600 256ddr video card). I was wondering if sempron processor could handle these tasks w/ flexibilty and w/ an ease?

Anyways, if i see an athlon processor i'll probably go for that, if my processor is not really working anymore.

5. brite750

brite750

8x is a agp setting not a cpu multiplier, reset your bios and see what happens, and stop messing with your bios.

6. soulfly

soulfly Thread Starter

i know. you are referring to agp speed of mobo. the thing that i adjusted is the processor's multiplier from default to 8.0x and i'm not referring to agp or something else in my mobo.

7. winbob

winbob

Soulfly,

IF you actually left the Multiplier at the 11.5 default and upped the AGP to 8X, then changed the FSB to 166Mhz, you know have set the Processor speed to be 1909Mhz :eek:

See any problems here???? :rolleyes:

So did you change the Multiplier from 11.5 DOWN to 8.0 ???

8. soulfly

soulfly Thread Starter

Sorry again for my late reply.. I have to used one of the computers here in our school just to reply from you. So excuse for my late reponses.

Anyways, just as you have said, i did change the multiplier from default to 8.0x. The default multiplier when my computer was still running was running only at 1100+ (in MSI mobo). Before that (when my athlon xp 1800+ was on an asus mobo) my processor was running at 1500+. So the difference there was 400mhz, that's why i decided to change the multiplier from the default to 8.0.

9. gaftop1

gaftop1

power cord unplugged. take the battery out for a half hour that will reset everything to defaults. it is more thorough than clearing cmos

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice