1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU stuck at 800Mhz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PseudoPole, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PseudoPole

PseudoPole Thread Starter

Hey there, was wondering if anyone can help me out. A couple of weeks ago i noticed that my i74790k CPU is working at 800Mhz, I've been using ThrottleStop as a temporary workaround but i was wondering if there is any way of actually fixing it without RMAing the mobo ??

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In order to help you, you need to post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "8gig of ram" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts. If this is a big box system, ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand and model#

Have you checked your temps? If not, do so. Temperature is one reason why a cpu will throttle down.

Since we have no idea what board you have, I cannot check for any bios updates that address this issue.

3. PseudoPole

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not posted your temps.
    One thing I see right off is there are a LOT of bios updates that address different issues with your mb. Are you running the latest bios update?
    I never use msi boards however I do think they have monitoring software for download. It is called command center. Use this for monitoring temps. Post your temps here. How exactly are you ascertaining the cpu is only running @800mz? Have you used any stress testing programs to load the system to 100% and see what speed you are running @100%

5. PseudoPole

Temperatures are between 32-39 degrees when running at 4.6Ghz (Turning off BDPROCHOT in ThrottleStop makes it run at normal clocks). I've been using CPU-Z, RealTemp and HWMonitor to show me the clocks. Also I have the newest update only installed today. I've used prime95 to stress test my CPU (without turning on ThrottleStop) and the clocks would not go above 800Mhz

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have already updated the bios, the only other thing I could suggest is to clear cmos and repeat the test. If it still will not run above 800mz with the latest bios and stock settings, you may have a bad board. As I said before there are a LOT of updates addressing issues. This usually points at a poor design for the mb. Bios updates to support new cpus are one thing; updates to attempt to fix problems are another.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I assume you have disabled intel speed step in the bios. If not, do this and see if it makes a difference. If the temps are what you posted, there is no reason why it should not run at full rated speed when running prime95.

8. PseudoPole

Yeah I'm done all of the above, cleared the CMOS and turned off speed step and EIST. Looks like a bad board. Any boards you'd recommend yourself?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Either gigabyte or asus running a z97 chipset. [IMO] msi is a mid-level mfg at best. One thing I look for when selecting a board is how many bios updates have been released. If you see bios updates every 2~3 weeks trying to fix a problem, stay away from that board. Updates to support new cpus are fine.

10. unclewebb

unclewebb

BD PROCHOT stands for bi-directional processor hot. This is a signal path to the CPU so other sensors on the motherboard can communicate with the CPU. If a CPU receives a signal on this line, it will be forced to throttle to the lowest multiplier (~800 MHz). Within the CPU, this works exactly the same as thermal throttling but in this case, your CPU temps are fine. It is a sensor on your board that has gone bad. This is a more common problem than people realize, especially in laptops but it can also happen on desktop boards.

Some desktop boards that are designed for LN2 use have a switch on the motherboard that can be used for this purpose. If you are trying to set an overclocking world record, it is easier to do this if you can boot up into Windows at 800 MHz and then you can toggle this switch on the motherboard to instantly go to full speed. If your board has this switch, it might have failed.

Using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT will disable this signal path so any external throttling signals will not get to the CPU so the CPU can run at full speed like it is supposed to do. BD PROCHOT is completely separate from PROCHOT. If your CPU gets too hot, it does not matter if BD PROCHOT is enabled or disabled, your CPU will still thermal throttle to protect itself from damage. I would recommend that you save your money and just continue using ThrottleStop to solve this problem. If you do not like seeing ThrottleStop in the System Tray, you can add ExitTime=5 to the ThrottleStop.INI file. This will force ThrottleStop to automatically exit 5 seconds after it starts. That gives the program lots of time to disable BD PROCHOT so you can run at full speed.

The latest version has lots of overclocking and voltage options for your CPU and is free to download from Notebook Review.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

I do not recommend turning off SpeedStep (EIST). At some point in the boot process, this needs to be enabled so the CPU can switch to the maximum multiplier. On some boards, disabling EIST will leave the CPU locked to the lowest multiplier. Many Dell laptops have this "feature".

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice