1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU SURGING UP & DOWN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by prn1972, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prn1972

prn1972 Thread Starter

I have an older decktop i have made into a gaming server. The hardware was 1.7 Celeron, Spectek 256mb ddr pc2100 ram, ECS p4vmm2 v3.2 mobo, 5400rpm hard drive, the rest is drives, flappy ect. Well i could not run a very good game server so i upgraded. First i put a stick of Crucial 512mb pc2100 ram in and all was fine( running both sticks at 768mb ). Went to a 7200 hard still all good. Got hold of a 2.6 Celeron put it in & the system would lock up. went to task manger & i could see the cpu jump from 0% to 100%. It just keep doing this with nothing runing but windows xp. I went to windows server 2003 the same thing. Went back to the 1.7 Celeron to see if the 2.6 was bad but the 1.7 was doing the same thing now, surging up & down. Then i took both sticks of ram to see if it happen & it did with ether stick installed. I tried different cpu with different ram, all combos done the same thing. I dont know what to do. Thanks for any help!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Wondering if you damaged the motherboard with a non-supported cpu?

3. prn1972

prn1972 Thread Starter

I dont know it came with a 2.4P4 a couple years ago. Put in the 1.7 Celeron it was fine had problems from the 2.6 Celeron. I have the mobo book i will check it out. Thanks

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

If Candy's suggestion is right you're screwed but I wonder if you have just a bad connection with the power supply and mobo. Maybe in all the change outs you've dislodged a connector.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What exactly are you looking at in the Task Manager?

CPUs run fast or slow, but what you see in the Task Manager Process list is how much of the CPUs available cycles are being consumed by individual processes.

What process or process is doing all the consuming?

And do you have a network connection open when you see this? Because that would apply across both operating systems.

And there is nothing that says you can't have both systems infected with the same malware.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/344370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice