1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Temp higher than normal- not sure what's wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nitam, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nitam

Nitam Thread Starter

I have an AMD Phenom 2 quad core 955 which I installed in a newly built system a few months ago. I had heating problems (it was idling at around 45 C) so I installed a new CPU fan. It idles at around 40C now, but whenever I power up Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect 2, or any other game that puts it under a pretty heavy load, it'll shoot up to high 50's and eventually top out at around 60C which is right around the 62C limit that AMD listed in the manual.

The fan I put in had awesome reviews and though it was a pain in the butt to install, I think I got it in right so I'm not sure what's wrong. One thing I was forced to do due to the small case size was have the new CPU fan blowing against the back case fan. The two fans are like 6 inches apart from each other and in general, stuff is pretty cramped in there. I still don't feel like that should justify 60C temps though.

fan ---- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...65&cm_re=cooler_master-_-35-103-065-_-Product

case ---- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Do you know what motherboard you have? I had a similar problem once and just did a bios update. I also ended up buying a cooler and case for it but it didn't solve the problem.

3. Nitam

Nitam Thread Starter

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is important with those vertical type coolers that the cpu fan blows air toward the back of the case so it can be exhausted by the case fan.

Those antec fans should have three speed settings. Have you tried increasing the speed of your case fans ie the top and rear fans?

5. Nitam

Nitam Thread Starter

Yeah I keep all my fans on their highest settings. If I don't, the temp shoots up to about 45 idle.

Just so I'm clear, running at 60C while playing Mass Effect 2 and such is weird right? I mean, it's basically a 15-20C jump whenever I load up my processor with something big.

Also, I'm a first time builder so it's entirely possible that I installed something wrong on my mobo or fan or something. I'm just not sure where to look.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You did not answer regarding the orientation of the heatsink fan. It needs to be installed so that it blows air toward the rear of the case not toward the front, side, etc.

45C at idle with all fans on high is pretty warm. As an example I run an amd 940 overclocked to 3.4gig and it runs @35C at idle and it gets up to 55C or so under prime95.

Attached Files:

7. Nitam

Nitam Thread Starter

Sorry-- yes the fan is blowing towards the rear of the case.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice