1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Temp is low on idle but core temp is high

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nexxev0, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nexxev0

nexxev0 Thread Starter

My CPU temp is sitting at 27 deg. Celsius.

My Core temp is sitting at 57 deg. Celsius.

These are my idle temps.

The room is fairly cold.

I have a large exhaust fan, 1 intake fan from the top, one intake fan from the side, and a stock heatsink / fan on my processor.

I don't know what my base temps were before this started happening but under load my cpu comes up to about 45 - 55 and my core goes 75+.

They system freezes up when it idles at 75 for too long.

I tried cleaning off and replacing the thermal compound. Maybe needs more compound? But the CPU says that its cool....

ANY IDEAS!?!?

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    To start with I would adjust your fan positions, based on what you have put above.

Where is the 'large exhaust fan'?

The '1 intake fan from the top' should be an exhaust really, the normal air intake fans are bottom front and on the side if fitted. Hot air rises so top fans should be exhausts. You also, ideally, want a higher volume of air being pushed in by the intake fans, than is being removed by the exhaust fans.

I would suspect that is partly why your core temp is higher, the intake at the top is stopping hot air from getting out of the case which will increase the systems core temperature.

Something like the diagram below is what you are looking for, with an addition side fan blow in if fitted:

[​IMG]

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, what are you using to determine these temps; bios, software, what?

4. nexxev0

nexxev0 Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies

crjdriver:
    I am using speed fan (more for fan control than temp) and coretemp. They both seem to be reporting the same core temps

tanis:
    I will swap some fans around tonight per your suggestion. I see why that would cause a problem. Also I was able to get my temps to 68 and under by taking off my side panel behind the motherboard and put a small desk fan blowing into the case at an angle.

To answer your question about the large exhaust fan i believe that it is an 80mm fan it is located on the back side of the computer (where the IO ports are). I will change the top of the case fan to be an exhaust fan. I do have a side case fan blowing in and I have my CPU fan blowing on the processor. I don't believe that I have any blowing from the front of the case to the back. I will see if I can dig some more fans up.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Both coretemp and speedfan can return flaky info. Check your temps either in the bios or with the board maker's monitoring software. Most board makers have software available for download to monitor temps, voltages, fan speeds, etc. If you have an asus, gigabyte, foxconn, or intel board, I know they have monitoring software.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice