1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU temp off the charts, need help ASAP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechUsername, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechUsername

TechUsername Thread Starter

My Phenom II X4 940 I have had since January 2009, but these problems only appeared yesterday. No changes, no overclocking. This is when idle. Temps rarely exceed 50*C under mild load, or 53*C under extreme load. Rest of my specs are already listed.

Here are the fan speeds and voltage info in CPUID
    [​IMG]

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Those temps don't look that bad to me.

I would check your temps and voltages in the BIOS though to be sure. The listed voltage on your 12v rail is well out in Speedfan but this could be due to the software missreading the sensor output.

If your PSU is outputting bad voltages that can cause other components to heat up, although if it was as far out as Speedfan is indicating I would expect you to be experiencing other problems like crashes, random shutdowns etc.

Also, check your heatsinks and fans aren't getting clogged up with dust. Dust will build up over time and it acts like an insulator reducing the efficiency of the heatsink and fan, therefore making the associated component run hotter.

3. TechUsername

It has never been that hot before, it is not caused by bottlenecking with the GPU (had that for 2 months with no issue), and the maximum "safe" temp listed is 62*C (although a very safe estimate, I like it kept under 55*C even at heavy load, which was never an issue before yesterday). It has reached 61*C already. This is very unusual behavior (has not done this before over the past 2 years of ownership), which tells me something is wrong somewhere.

I will get onto the BIOS check once again, just in case there is a sensor issue. Fans are good from what I can see, and clear of dust.

It may be the PSU, as I had a blue screen twice for no apparent reason over a week ago. However, I ran a memory diagnostic and re-sync, and all the values returned to normal. From what I could see, it was either the RAM or nothing, and that checks out now. (I assumed it was just the driver interfering with the firmware), and I already rolled it back and re-installed.

I will keep you informed of any updates as soon as I can.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree, check your temps and voltages in the bios. I see some other flaky data as well. The 940 is a 125W cpu and it shows a little over 140W being used. In addition your cpu or vcore is not going up and down as it would with cool&quiet enabled.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Those temps don't look bad to me, either. I have mine set to shut down at 65 C. and it has only done it twice, but upper 50's is common.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

940s do run pretty cool. I have one in a home theater PC [small case with limited airflow] and it never gets above 40C unless under a very heavy load. As I said check your temps and voltages in the bios and post those here; specifically 12V, 5V, and 3.3V along with your temps.

7. TechUsername

I checked the voltages in the BIOS:

CPU 47*C

Mobo 34*C

CPU Fan 3391 RPM

VCORE:1.360 V

3.3V: 3.26

5V: 5.053V

12V: 12.032

However, when I entered windows, I received a frozen screen several times, as the display driver had frozen up and restarted. No idea what is causing that, or why my CPU temps soared to 51*C from 44*C in under 3 seconds for no apparent reason (albeit went back down again).

I re-enabled cool and quiet in performance instead of optimal, so my fan RPM soared from just over 3000 RPM to nearly 11,000. CPU temp is down at 42*C now, although from what I recall, at under 5000 I was getting much lower temps than this before the "issues". Fan speed sometimes moves way down to nearing 5k with low temps again. No idea what is causing such erratic behavior with zero difference in load.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How long has it been since you pulled the hsf and installed new thermal compound? If it has been a while OR it has never been done, I would pull the hsf and clean all parts with 99% alcohol. Apply new arctic silver compound and reinstall the hsf.

Next you should see cpu temp go up and down [when C&Q is enabled] this is in relation to load on the system. Right now my netbook is maxed out on temp since it is doing an acronis backup however normally I see temp go between the high 20s and mid 40s under normal operation.

9. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

My overclocked 955 never even hits 50C...and this is when I'm in a climate where the ambient is usually in low-mid 30s C. Something is wrong.

I'd be looking at the obvious...such as dust bunnies clogging heatsink fins. The sensors say the CPU fan is spinning fast, but I would be checking that with the Mark-1 eyeballs.

10. TechUsername

I am getting a max TDP of 140 Watts. The maximum for the CPU is 125. I do not know how to cap the max TDP of this CPU in BIOS to a max of 125, or even if I can. My BIOS is the fully updated, most recent version for the mobo from ASUS.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot. You have also not answered my question as to when [if ever] you have pulled the hsf and cleaned all parts, reapplied thermal compound.

That board is a few years old now and it would not hurt to get a bright light and give it a VERY close inspection for any leaking capacitors. If you find any that look like the pics below, you have found your problem.

Attached Files:

12. TechUsername

Yes. I did check all the fans yesterday, including the fan and heatsink for dust, all of which are clear. Also, I still had the stock thermal pad for the X4 940 being used, which was installed in January 2009. The temp and TDP never changed, or spiked until recently, so I saw no need to check and replace it.

No, the capacitors all appear to be in excellent condition, thankfully. Performed a quadruple check of each one, and no leaks of any variety were visible.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you still having problems or is it working correctly?

14. TechUsername

Have yet to have the chance to replace the thermal and try it yet. I first wanted to ask (since finding warranty information has been a pain, and my papers are in another location). Will using Arctic Silver 5 void the warranty?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you go messing with the hsf of course any warranty is void. If you still have a warranty, why not return the system for warranty work?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice