CPU Temp too hot to handle?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SolderOn

One of my kid's PC’s, (brief spec as follows) has a ‘CURRENT CPU Temp’ of 63c/145f (CPU Fan Speed 7123 RPM) and Current ‘SYSTEM Temp’ of 26c/78f (system Fan speed 0 RPM) seen via the PC Health Status software. I'm concerned that it may cause overheating somewhere-are these temperatures too hot? I’ve heard one can get a better fan to keep it cooler? By the way these temps are when idle, no other apps open.

Another issue I have with this PC, is that when booting, the ‘memory’ test spins 3 times reaching around 131000 each time, before finally kicking into XP. Is this normal?

MSI K7 MS6341
AMD Duron 800Mhz
Windows XP Pro
20GB IDE WD HDD
128MB SDRAM
BIOS: Award Mod V6.00pg

You can't go wrong with bigger fans and better cooling - 145F/63C sounds a tad high to me...

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Sounds to me as thought the heatsink hasn't been fitted properly with thermal paste.

Oh and three time test is normal. It can be turned off in the BIOS setup using the Fast Boot option.

i had a duron that ran 145 deg for over a year. i wouldn't worry too much about it. might just go ahead a re-paste and reseat the heatsink. a dab of paste will do. too much is as bad as not enough.
to run xp efficiently you need at least 256 mb of ram preferably 512 mb it will make a world of difference in performance.

Im with DaveB that doesnt sound like that hsf is on right, its best to pull the mobo to install those things, otherwise you can go to the local auto supply store and get one of those mirrors on a stick things, the mirror is round about 2" diam on the end of a rod that has a swivel joint on it to see in tight areas they come in handy for pc building, just dont touch anything on your mobo and of course have pc off with plug pulled

I also wouldn't trust the program that gave you those figures.....I may be wrong, but I've never heard of a CPU cooler fan that can run at 7123rpm!!

Might want to look for another sowtware to test those temps!

Scorp.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online