1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu temperature above 90 C

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abhishek4978, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abhishek4978

abhishek4978 Thread Starter

I have an amd phenom II X2 550 processor . It has been 1 week , and the temperature of processor has not dropped below 90 C. I have restarted the pc approx 50 times . I have not overclocked any hardware. I also have an nvidia geforce 210 . I have 4 GB ram . But then also , when i start to play any game , after 2 mins the temperature crosses 100 C and my pc crashes . Please tell me what to do . I'm confused. Help me . :mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused::(:(:(

Attached Files:

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you opened the case and blown the dust out of the system lately? Using a can of compressed air to remove the dust, not a vacuum cleaner.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless I am missing something, the 550 is NOT on the supported list as asus. When you use an unsupported cpu, you are in effect a beta tester; it may work and it may not. Here is the support list for the board that hwmonitor lists. If you do not have this board, post the exact mb you have installed.
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M2N68AM/#CPUS

BTW you are not going to really play much of any game with a 210 card. That card is made for office apps, watching a movie, email, etc. It is NOT a gaming card.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it's been running at 90 degrees or higher you should not be running it at all, max safe temp for that processor is 70 degrees. Stop running it or you'll have broken parts soon.

With temps that high my first guess is that the heatsink is not installed correctly or the thermal paste application is incorrect.

The link above is for the non SE2 version of the motherboard, here's the CPU support for the M2N68-AM SE2: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/...=M2N68-AM SE2&os=25&hashedid=rzWjxRHTivB96wPd
    Accroding to that the Phenom II X2 550 is supoorted on motherboard/PCB version 2.00 with a BIOS of 0701 or 1002 depending on which model of the X2 550 you have; however the latest BIOS is 1801 and that is the version you should be on: http://support.asus.com/download.as...=M2N68-AM SE2&os=25&hashedid=rzWjxRHTivB96wPd

But you need to check the installation of the heatsink first and make sure that the fan is spinning on top of the CPU.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

T6 is correct. I had the wrong version of your board. The amd type hsf is pretty easy to install so you might have a broken clip or broken retention socket. Take a look at your mounting of the hsf.

Has it always been this hot or is this a new development?

6. abhishek4978

I hav cleaned 80% of the dust

7. abhishek4978

Thats nt true . It has 1gb video ram . And.i play many games like mw3 etc.on. High graphics

8. abhishek4978

I have already stopped using.it . It becomes really hot

9. abhishek4978

This started only a week ago . Before that my pc was as fast as new

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Open the case and check the mounting of the hsf. See if you have a broken lug on the socket or perhaps a broken spring clip. If everything looks ok, then pull the hsf OFF and clean all parts with 91 or 99% alcohol. Once dry, apply new thermal compound IAW [in accordance with] the compound maker's instructions. I should add that I assume you have opened the case and verified that all fans are in fact working. Make sure all fans are working before R&Ring the hsf.

While you have the case open, clean out the remaining 20% of dust.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1070771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice