1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU temperature - Can it be too cool?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shmik1, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shmik1

shmik1 Thread Starter

I just built a new system and installed the arctic freezer (cpu heatsink & fan) and MBM is giving me readings of around 33 degrees FAHRENHEIT at idle. Granted the window is open and the outside temp is in the mid 30s low 40s. However, my question is.. Could there potentially be a shorter life span if the cpu is consistently hovering around a freezing temperature, or is it always better for it to be cooler?

I know this is probably a dumb question but I was just curious and would appreciate some input.

TIA,
    -Aaron

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Dont worry about low temops. I run my AMD 5200 clocked to 6000 in a Vapochill case, and th eunloaded temp generally sits round about minus 12 to minus 6 degrees. Cold wont do any harm to a chip, if anything it may even give you a longer lifespan. The reason being that heat is the biggest killer for a chip, so the less heat, the better.
    So.. no matter how low you go on air, you have virtually no chance of damaging your chip. If you go for forced cooling, where chip temps are below air temps, you need to watch for condensation, but on air that will never be a prob.

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Oh, and no, its not a dumb question. I hadnt really even thought about it till you mentioned it, and it took a couple of momenyd worry before I realised it was ok. The only dumb question is the one you want to ask and dont for fear of being foolish. I would personally prefer to look a total prat that not know what iam doing :)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, you will not damage the cpu by running too cool. Next I would check your temps in the bios or at least with the hardware monitor for your board [if the board maker provides one] This will be more accurate than mbm.

What cpu do your have in the system? I just finished a build for someone and it is running a low powered c2d [allendale core] the thing ran at about 5C above ambient temp. Not bad on the stock intel cooler.

5. shmik1

shmik1 Thread Starter

Yeah, I was thinking cooler always = better, but it still doesn't add up to me. Even with that huge radiator looking heat sink and 4 case fans, how could it run around 33-44 degrees when the room temperature is probably close to 68 degrees if not 70.

However, I appreciate all the input! Seeing as how it is only air cooled (and I will always keep it that way, it's also never going to be overclocked - I won't have much need to concern in regards to damaging components)

Also, the reason the house is so cold is because I'm at school and we let it get rather cool unless we NEED heat. Once I'm back home the temp will of course go up. I'd estimate the case will be right around 90 F and the CPU in avg will be around 50-55 F.

Btw: the processor is a Core 2 Duo E6750. And I noticed the BIOS does have a temp monitor and I did check it once. It was close to parallel MBM's readings.

Thanks again guys!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are showing room temp in degrees F. The bios shows temps in degrees C. 44C=112F. BTW that is a fine temp; no problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice