1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu temperature - how did i get it so low!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sphinx, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Hi I just built a computer for my friend.

I used a micro ATX motherboard (MSI K72NMG), which by the way is one of the best motherboards ive ever used.

put in a 333mhz AMD XP 3000+ and pc2700 512mb memory which i synchronized to a 1:1 ratio (cpu to memory).

I put all this great stuff in a nice gaming case, the GAURDIAN (http://www.atxcases.com/Cases/gaurdian.htm), and seem to have pretty good airflow.

Tell me if I have this airflow right - the fan on the side panel is an exhaust (sucking out hair), I then have to back fans (exhaust) which are vented toward the heatsink (in order to suck air directly from there). Then one fan in the front INTAKE, blowing in air. I think it is all working out pretty well,

i coulldn't believe the results on this thing!

CPU TEMP IDLE.... 27 C
    CPU TEMP FULL LOAD.. no higher than 36 C

I used a COOLJAG heatsink with a 60mm fan blowing at 4400 RPM, copper base, and arctic silver 5 thermal paste.

I am jealous of my friends computer because my computer is usually around CPU TEMP 47 or 48 C, and thats on IDLE! reaches about 56C full load. It is not using arctic silver 5, but it is using some kind of thermal paste, so I have no idea why its so much hotter than the other one. Mine has an 80mm fan that blows 2200RPM, i just dont see how my friends that i built is SO MUCH cooler.

It doesn't even have a great power supply either, at least I don't think so, its a 400W RION power supply, while mine is RAIDMAX 350 watt ( i know raidmax is crap, but never heard of rion).

Anyway, would like to hear anbodys thoughts / comments

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "Tell me if I have this airflow right - the fan on the side panel is an exhaust (sucking out hair), I then have to back fans (exhaust) which are vented toward the heatsink (in order to suck air directly from there). Then one fan in the front INTAKE, blowing in air. I think it is all working out pretty well," - Hopefully you do not have hair in your Computer :)

Yeah thats a good setup but usually so many fans are not even required.

Its hard to say why yours is running warmer. But different components yield different results - different CPU, heatsink, motherboard sensor(they are not exact). Different fans move different amounts of air and different heatsinks have different thermal properties. Check the air flow rating of your heatsink; the CFM. Sometimes its just a matter of re-applying better thermal paste. Also make note of the case/motherboard temp - a lower case temp will result in a lower CPU temp.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/253957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice