1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU temperature is 80C and high

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vinz, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vinz

Vinz Thread Starter

Dear All,

My CPU temperature is 80C and high. From the BIOS itself, i could see this temperature. I am using GIGABYTE P55A-UD3R motherboard with Core I5-Lynnfield processor. It was working well before 6 months. Suddenly, the temperature became very high and i am not able to do anything. Used Core-Temp software to check for the CPU temperature. It is 77C and not dropping down. Bought a new processor fan and a cabinet case with three fans to support ventilation. But, whenever i start any application, CPU load shoots to 100% and temperature is getting increased. Changed and replaced my motherboard(same) and graphics card too before finding this problem. Applied thermal compound between the processor and heat sink. Do not know what is the exact issue that keeps my CPU always run at high temperature. :( :confused:

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

Also, what is the make/model and wattage of your PSU? Also, can you list the voltages?

3. Gizmoto

Gizmoto

could it be that you haz virus that eats up system resources?

4. Vinz

Vinz Thread Starter

Hello captainron276,

Below are my system specs.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 2039 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 100838 MB, Free - 21285 MB; D: Total - 200000 MB, Free - 101694 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 65 MB; F: Total - 175996 MB, Free - 11425 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., P55A-UD3R
    Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated and Enabled

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.
    - It is an assembled PC.

Also, what is the make/model and wattage of your PSU? Also, can you list the voltages?
    -
    Huntkey Model: LW - 6500HDP V2.2
    AC Input: 230V~, 50 Hz, 4A
    Output watts: 500W, +5V, +3.3V :180W

5. Vinz

Vinz Thread Starter

Gizmoto,

I will try to run system scan again. Recently, i thought the same and i formatted my OS. Still the same :(

6. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hiya Vinz, you said you put NEW thermal paste, correct? What brand? And did you make sue you put on the CORRECT amount, and made sure the HSF was tight and secure on ALL sides? all case fans and the case itself are free from dirt, dust and debris, yes?

7. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Do you have another known good PSU you could try? The one you have, how old is it? Not of very good quality either:(

8. Vinz

Vinz Thread Starter

captainron276,

I bought this entire set some two years back. I do not have anything in hand. May be if you can specify the brand, that i should opt for, it will be good. Is there any specific problem with the configuration. You found anything on the specs? Having changed my motherboard and graphics card, should i change my processor too? Is that a good option?

9. Vinz

Vinz Thread Starter

metallica5456,

The thermal paste which i used is a local brand. There is no dirt/dust on the fans.

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Can you answer this too?

11. Vinz

Vinz Thread Starter

metallica5456,

Sorry for having that missed. Yes, it is tight and secure.

12. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  13. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew

Can you remember the brand name of the thermal paste? I am just trying to see if its a decent brand. Also can you walk me thru the EXACT steps you used to apply the NEW thermal paste?

14. Vinz

Vinz Thread Starter

metallica5456,

I am not remembering the name. How did i applied the thermal paste? Removed the processor fan and placed a small amount (pea sized) on the bottom part of the fan where it contacts with the processor and tightened it on to the motherboard.

15. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    so you didnt "spread" it yourself, correct? Have you pulled it back apart to make sure enough paste was displaced onto the cpu? Making sure it was tightened enough to completely cover the chip?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1102492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice