1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu temperature ok?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moebius, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

my first post in iver a month... i was moving, and then i was extremely busy, so, now hopefully i shall return to my usual self... 20 posts daily :)

heard there was a crash here at TSG?

any wayz, my amd athlon XP is hot: 50C idle and 55C peak usage. im using a coolermaster zx26.8 (5500rpm), 2 case fans, and silicon based thermal interface compound.

room temperature is 15C.

i have ordered arctic silver 5. how many degrees centigrade drop will i notice?

2. Sponsor

3. Aceonfire

Aceonfire

You wont see a big diff with AS5 (maybe 2 or 3 tops)

However 50 degrees idle for a non-overclocked XP is a bit high...

Your temps with that room temp and case fans should be about 40 idle and 50 load (max)

As long as your not getting any stability issues, 55 is not an issue itself..however if you plan to overclock at all, you may want to take the heatsink off, clean the cpu and heatsink with alchohol, and apply a very, very thin layer of AS5 to the heatsink....

A couple tips:

1. Any amount of debree at all with affect your temps, I mean even a speck of dust...so make sure you have an extra bright light, can of air, alchohol, and reall taker your time putting your heatsink on

2. A neat trick ive learned when applying AS is to take a business card (or some other semi-stiff thin flat object) and rub the AS into the heatsink...that way you know you get into all the cracks on the heatsink itself. make sure the object you use is clean obviously...

Also, what are you using the monitor the temps? I would try a couple diff programs, instead of just relying on one, as some are good and some are not..usually if your mobo comes with a temp monitoring program, that is the one to go with. I have found Sisoft Sandra to be the most inaccutrate of them all.

4. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

alright, after applying the compuond again (using the method u suggested), i got 50C idle and 53C max load.

im using my mobos software for temperature readings, and did i mention that the xp 2600+ has an internal diode (in the core itself) for measuring temps.

5. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

did i mention my sys temp. : 35C

6. Aceonfire

Aceonfire

Hmm system temp seems a tad high to me...

I havent looked up yoru cpu cooler, is that a all aluminun cooler, or does it have a copper core to it?

My Temps - Click here for a screenshot of my temps and what I am running my rig at.

Here is my system, its about 70 degrees F here in my room..using AS, and I have my CPU fan speed turned down some...(its on auto control)

As you can see, my system is overclocked, and still keeping very good temps...

I think 50 is high for your setup still..however if you are not going to overclock, honestly, its perfectly fine....

7. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

i dont wantto overclock yet

its an all aluminum one. u think ill do better with a thermalteke xaser 7? its all copper

8. Aceonfire

Aceonfire

I wouldnt go with an all copper cpu unless you want to get hardcore..

first off, they are expensive, and you need a crazy fast (LOUD) fan to cool down a all copper heat sink correctly..

Try and find one that uses a copper core, with aluminun surrounding it......the copper will pull the heat off, and the aluminun will help disapate it faster...

Its nowhere near the best, but I am using a Volcano 9..and have been happy with it thus far.

9. Brushswinger

Brushswinger

I have often read about people reporting there processor temperature etc...I have had many Pc's now, my latest is a Dell 8300. How do I determine my operating temperature? And what is the norm?

10. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

depends on if your mobo has probes on it. newer amd cpus have an internal diode/thermistor circuit that gives you the temp readings from within the cpu core. these readings are generally higher than those from probes. older intel motherboards did not have probes. if you know the manufacturer of your motherboard and the model number, check out the manufacturers website to find out if it has probes. then download a utility to get these readings as well. another way is to access ur pcs BIOS and get the readings from there. but those readings arent idle, because the CPU is at the least possible usage while in BIOS

11. RSM123

RSM123

Can't help with your problem - but :

Happy 18th for yesterday,

Best Wishes,

Richard.

12. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

thanks

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/197772