1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Temperature readings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulg67uk, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulg67uk

paulg67uk Thread Starter

Which do I believe? the ASUS PC Probe says CPU temp is 54C/129F and EVEREST tells me 47C/117F
    The readings for the motherboard temp are identical though (currently 34C/97F)
    This is with a coolermaster CP5 (i think)with 80mm fan on an AMD XP2400+ thoroughbred,ASUS A7V8X-X board and a PSU with large base (underside)fan.Oh,the goo stickin it together is akasa 842 .
    Are these temps too high? this is under medium loads,file sharing /AV progs etc running (oh,and winMe :eek: )

2. haplo210

haplo210

what does bios detect it as? id suggest rebooting after a while and checking-thats the most accurate way

3. Shivers

Shivers

How do you check in the bios?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you boot your computer it should display the hardware info on a black screen. It should also list a key to press at that time to enter the BIOS setup. This is before Windows begins to load. The key is usually DEL or F2 - should be DEL in your case. In the BIOS look for HEalt or Power options and it list the temps. The temps listed in the BIOS are generally lower then when running Windows as its affected by load.

As for software, sometimes they can mis read the sensor or assign the temp to device incorrently. So the CPU and motherboard temps may be reversed or something similar. More likely the ASUS probe is right but not necessarily.

The temps are OK with either reading.

5. Arcadion

Arcadion

At a guess, ASUS PC Probe is reporting the internal (junction) temperature of the CPU, while Everest is reporting the external (case) temperature, which is going to be lower. I don't see how else you could be getting different readings, they appear to be reading the temp from entirely different sensors.

6. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Software programs for determining CPU Temp havent ever been very reliable, especially in my case, my cpu is not 23 degrees! lol

But between Everest vs Asus probe, I would say go with the readings of the Asus probe, at least its made by the same manufacturer of your board.

I'd say Arcadion is correct.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice