1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Temperature too high... Help, please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by martinlest, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. martinlest

martinlest Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a PC which I use only for MS Flight Simulator (specs below): I have just added a CPU temp gauge (via CoreTemp) to the desktop and am a bit alarmed at the information it is giving. The PC came with the i7-950 pre-overclocked to 3.8 GHz (and I wouldn't dream of losing this overclocking - Flightsim runs as smooth as silk). I have never had any problems with sudden shutdowns in the two years I have had the PC...

Temperatures at startup show around 50-60degs. When running Flight Simulator they are between 70 and 95 degs, just under the TJMax, but nevbertheless...

The PC was shipped recently from where I was working, in Thailand, to the UK, but I have checked inside the case that the fans are OK and that the big Fenrir cooler on the CPU is clipped in place properly: all fans seem to be turning just fine. No visible dust at all, on vents or fans. Q-Fan is enabled in the BIOS and the fans do vary in speed as I use the PC. They certainly seem to be whirring away (max I imagine) as Flightsim rruns. (What should the CPU fan speed be? The BIOS showed me around 2500rpm I think).

What would folks expect the core temperatures to be for this CPU at 3.8GHz when the PC is at idle? I did try an experiment yesterday which makes me think that the figures showing may be wrong. I put the PC onto Standby (Sleep) last night: everything shut down OK. This morning I started the PC up from its sleep mode - takes about two or three seconds, literally. The CPU temp immediately showed 60degs. Given that my ambient room temperature is under 20degs, it seems a bit unlikely that the CPU would rise 40degs in temperature in the few seconds that the PC takes to come out of Standby. Or not??

Thanks for any advice,

Martin

Intel Core i7-950 CPU @ 3.8GHz; GeForce GTX 470 GPU, 1280MB; 1 x OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB SSD; 1 x Corsair Force 120GB SSD; 2 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA drives; 6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X T1 TRI-DDR3 2000MHz RAM; ASUS P6X58D-E M/B; 2 x HannsG monitors, 28" & 24"; Windows 7 x64

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, there is NO safe overclock. I have a rule; do not overclock with parts you do not want to replace.

Next your mb supports asus probe. Download probe and install; check your temps with probe rather than a third party app. Quite often monitoring apps like hwmonitor, speedfan, coretemp, etc have problems with the sensors on the mb.

You download asus probe from the support page for your mb. Here is the link
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6X58DE/#download

If asus probe confirms your temps are that high, do what skyvvy outlined below and replace the thermal compound.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you have a big cooler and the PC has just been shipped I would suspect that maybe the machine was jarred and the thermal paste's contact with the CPU may have been disturbed.

I would re apply with some good thermal paste and see what happens.

4. martinlest

martinlest Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I had forgotten that I already have the Asus Probe suite installed. Now I run it shows temperatures a good 15degs lower than the third party software I have. I think perhaps because I was looking at core temperatures, not CPU temperature. Whatever, I'll use the Asus Probe on my desktop in future.

Temperatures are still rather too high, even so: 68degs with Flightsim running, 45degs idle. I agree that the seal between the sink and the CPU may have been damaged in the shipment. I'll look into that..

M

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I always recommend pulling the mb out of the case to R&R the hsf on an intel system. If you have an aftermarket type hsf with a backplate, it might be possible to do the R&R in the case however I would still pull the board.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice