1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Temperature

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ttiefenbach, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ttiefenbach

ttiefenbach Thread Starter

My CPU temp is reading between 55dC and 58dC on Idle. I know the temp will go up when useing applications heavily. That makes me concerned about the idle temp.

I run lots of 3D games, Paint Shop Pro, and AutoCAD. If I'm running these apps, I'm afraid I might be overheating the CPU. I've noticed some random freezes, but after a reboot, the temp is at the tidle temp. So I don't that's the cause of the freezes.

I didn't build the computer, I bought it pre-built. I've only had it a couple of days, so I'd just like to make sure the computer is safe for longivity.

My NEW Antec power supply is 350W and has the standard fan in the back, and an additional fan aimed into the case. There is no other fans into or out of the case. I have, what looks like (a circle shape of holes under the PS), room for a case fan on the back of the case, but no room for a side case fan.

Would I need a new case with fans to lower my temp?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you dismiss the temperature as the cause for your halts too easily. As soon as the system crashes and stops, the processor will cool quickly from high temperatures, and by the time you get it booted, it probably will be back to near idle temperature. You didn't specify what processor, but I'm guessing that it's an AMD. The importance of the processor heatsink/fan can't be overemphasized, it's the #1 factor in keeping the processor from overheating. Next, obviously, is the internal temperature of the case, since that's where the processor temperature starts it's temperature rise from. Unless you have a quality heatsink/fan on the processor, I'd start there. Also, make sure you use good thermal compound, properly applied, to maximize the heat transfer to the heatsink. Better case cooling is also a good idea, the cooler the case is, the cooler everything will run.

My case and processor are currently both at 33C, and it's 22C in my room right now.

3. ttiefenbach

See my signature for specs.

How do I test my internal case temp? What kind of case fan should I buy if that's the cause? Would I need one in front and one on back? Where do I mount the cooling fan on the front?

4. deuce

deuce

I would suggest one of the new silver thermal compounds. Inexpensive and work well. What brand pc is this? If this is built by a manufacture it should be built properly and be able to withstand the aps you are running..............so it sounds something went astray in the process. Big manufactures don't use high quality thermal compounds so you could put some in, but unless you have already made this thing homey I would just exchange it since you just bought it.............if in fact it is from a manufacture.

5. deuce

deuce

If you are able to monitor the cpu temp you should also have the case temp. What are you using to monitor it? What brand processor is this?.................it will matter for a case because AMD will need much more cooling power than an Intel. For an Intel two case fans and a cpu fan are planty..........or you can even drop one case fan and use the ps fan in place of it. All you want is one sucking and one pushing to maintain good air flow. This will help greatly as stale air contiributes much to hot temps. If this is an AMD you will definately need at least TWO case fans.

6. ttiefenbach

It's an AMD Athlon XP 2000. I'm useing the CMOS to view the CPU temp. The MB temp is around 40C.

Where would I mount the 2 case fans?

7. deuce

deuce

So you have no case fans? This is going to be a HUGH help then. Look on the case there should be spots for it. There will be circular perforations and four sopts to screw it in...and this should be on the back next to the connections on the motherboard. Make sure this one sucks in because the ps fan blows out. That is the only case fan you can use but most motherboards have a spot to attach a fan to the mobo. I would suggest this if you have a spot. Look around and see if you can find a spot for a fan, if you have one.

8. ttiefenbach

My PS has 2 fans, one sucking air in and the other blows the air out. I found a place for 3 case fans. I installed 1 case fan to suck air in from the front. It helped the temp on the cpu a bit, but not much, about 2C - 4C. I checked into the CPU Heatsink & Fan combo. It the provided heatsink & fan that is provided with the Athlon CPU.

Since my case temp is around 40C I think my case temp is ok. I'm going to invest in a new heatsink/fan combo & the gel.

If I did this, then the temp of the CPU should be brought down to a temp closer to the case temp, right?

I thinking about the ThermalTake Volcano 9 for the heatsink, and Artic Silver 3 for the thermal compound.

Do I need a thermal adhesive? How do I remove the old hs without damage to the CPU? Are they adhered together, or can I just pull it off?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Normally, the heatsink is just clamped on, not bonded on. If it's bonded on, you may have a problem getting it off without damage, there was someone in this forum recently that destroyed a processor trying to get the thermal epoxy bonded heatsink off. :rolleyes: Since the case fans didn't have the effect desired (I believe I mentioned the processor was the highest priority), it's indeed time to replace the stock heatsink/fan with a better unit.

10. ttiefenbach

Is the Volcano 9 a good heatsink? Is there something comparable, or better, that I could purchase?

Thanks

11. indylift

indylift

I run the same processor that you are running with top of the line cooling equipment and a total of six cooling fans if you count the ps fans.Your temps are in the normals.I am a very extensive gamer and those temps are fine. If you experience frequent lockups than you may want to dig a little deeper. An occassional lockup is to be expected and almost unavoidable. Here is a link to a program that monitors your fan speeds and cpu and system tempature.It also monitors your v-core voltage which is a first culprit to check if you experience frequent locks with XP processor.
    This progam runs in your taskbar and will alert you if reach a preset temp.

http://download.msi.com.tw/support/swr_exe/PCAlert4.exe

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a link that explains how to install a hsf.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/Installation_Poster_Eng.pdf

In my opinion your temps are too high. I have built many AMD systems and have never had the processor temp over 42C. As to lockups they are not normal or to be expected. This computer that I am responding on has been running for 3 months without a lockup, crash or anything of that nature. CPU temp is 37C and system temp is 28C.
    Even though AMD says that you can run the processor temp up to 90C, other parts of your computer [video card, memory, etc.] may not be able to take such extreme temps.
    If you want to see if your problem is heat related, take the side cover off and put a small desk fan blowing air into the case. If the lockups stop, you have found the problem. If it still locks up, then it probably is not heat related.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice