Solved CPU temperature

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eeben

I recently bought a Intel Core i7-8700K CPU, but I'm having some issues with the temperature

It has been running smoothly the past week and I have encountered no problems at all, but the temperature readings are ridiculously high

Idle its around 43C, but the moment I turn on some videogame (Like League of Legends) it bolts up to 90-100C really quickly. Isn't that unusually high for a game that isn't that hard to run?

Anyways, I use a program called HWMonitor to monitor the CPU temperature.
After doing some digging I found out that the "core temperatures" are at the previously stated values, but there is also a "surface temperature" that stays at 32-37C when I boot games. Which one is the correct one to follow?

I can also add that the cooling fan is quite old and runs at around 1000rpm, and I don't have any thermal paste/grease etc applied.

I have already ordered a new fan+thermal paste and try to keep my CPU loads to a minimum while I wait for the package

But I suppose that my main question is above all "Why does the CPU temperature go up so much when its under low load?"

Eeben

I can also add that I never experienced any particual CPU throttle nor crashes.
I might never have noticed until I downloaded the monitor programs

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It is not worth trying to analyse anything with this situation
I can also add that the cooling fan is quite old and runs at around 1000rpm, and I don't have any thermal paste/grease etc applied
If you continue to run in this state you stand every chance of damaging the CPU - why you would even attempt to run a CPU without thermal compound is beyond me. If you wish, you can read this as to why thermal compound is a must and how it works.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/WhtPr/Thermal_Interface_Basics.pdf

Processor
https://ark.intel.com/products/126684/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_70-GHz

TCase is 100C - hold mouse on TCase on that link

Last edited:

Eeben

It is not worth trying to analyse anything with this situation

If you continue to run in this state you stand every chance of damaging the CPU - why you would even attempt to run a CPU without thermal compound is beyond me. If you wish, you can read this as to why thermal compound is a must and how it works.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/WhtPr/Thermal_Interface_Basics.pdf

Processor
https://ark.intel.com/products/126684/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_70-GHz

TCase is 100C - hold mouse on TCase on that link
I see
I have moved over to my temporary laptop as I wait for the cooling to arrive
Is there a chance for my CPU to be damaged?
I have been using the new CPU for a week and I got a notification yesterday from Norton, of all things, that my CPU temps had gotten pretty high.
I immediately turnt off all load heavy programs and kept to google chrome as a maximum (around 60C stable)

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do not use it without the compound
That is the best advice.
It should go into CPU safe mode that is reduced power etc and then if it reaches TCase shut down, but why take the risk.

When you reply type in box please that appears not by clicking reply on my post - that as you can see quotes back all I have typed

Take my advice please - DO NOT RISK IT

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online