1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU temperature

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lazylilsnoop, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lazylilsnoop

lazylilsnoop Thread Starter

i installed the Motherboard monitor 5, and it reads my case temp = 45deg, chipset = 40deg, CPU = 60deg. u reckon my CPU temp is too high? how to lower it? currently i only have 1 fan at the rear n a big fan facing down from the PSU. u guys reckon i should get a new casing(P180 antec) or get a cooler (Thermaltake Big Thypoon)??

2. brite750

brite750

what temps do your bios show?

also what cpu do you have, Athlon XP, Athlon64, P4, etc. 60c sounds high but it may be somewhat exceptable

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Brite is correct you need to verify the temps in the bios. 60C is getting pretty warm, however until you check we really cannot recommend anything.
    In addition post your exact specs ie type of cpu, make and model of motherboard, etc.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Right for an Athlon XP or Intel Dual Core, that temp may be high normal whereas for an Athlon Dual Core it would be quite high. Please give us your hardware.

5. lazylilsnoop

how to check the bios? anyway it's a P4 3.0GHz HT, Radeon 9600 Pro, Intel desktop board D865PERL, 2.5MB ddr ram.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Sounds like a Prescott. They can get pretty toasty, but I wouldn't necessarily panic.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Intel boards should be F2 to enter the bios. Check your manual for the exact place in the bios to read temps.
    60C is a little high for that cpu, however if that was under load ie encoding video or something like that it would be ok. If it was at idle, then it is too high. I would start with a good cleaning using a can of air. Next if you can install an extra exhaust fan, it will help.

8. lazylilsnoop

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did you have the front fan pulling air into the case? Thermaltake hsf is excellent and should definitely help!

10. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x

hey, from my experience with high cpu temp, i have an AMD 64 3700 which was reaching 50oC - 60oC and then i got a thermaltake big water 745 and now my cpu temp is at 25oC - 27oC, its amazing how effective it is, just an idea

11. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

If it's a Prescott it's fine.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

60C is warm even for a Prescott. The thermal consideration for a 3.0Ghz. socket 478 Prescott is 69.1C. I would try to get the CPU temperature down into the low to mid 50'sC.

If your temperatures reported in post #1 are correct the case temperature of 45C is high and most likely is the cause of the processor running as warm as it is. You need to try to get the case temperature somewhere around 38C.

I am a little confused; In post #1 you stated; "currently i only have 1 fan at the rear",
    then in post #8 you stated; "but there is no more space for exhaust fan". IF there is a rear fan it should be your exhaust fan (pulling air out of the case).

If you don't have a front fan, or a front fan mount point where a fan can be mounted you are going to have a hard time lowering the case temperature on that particular case.

The Antec P-180 case is a very nice case (somewhat expensive about $115 WITHOUT a PSU).

Here is a link to Antec for case comparison;

http://www.antec.com/pdf/CaseComparison.pdf

Since you are using a D865PERL board be mindful that you will need a case that supports an ATX motherboard.

13. lazylilsnoop

ooo... exhaust fan = rear fan.. ic ic... anyway how to know weather its pulling or wat?
    i only can feel cool air coming out from the back. as for the front.. i mounted in a small fan. but dosen't seem to give much effect. it's basically for the HD, i guess...
    so what u said is get a new casing n reduce the case temp n it will automatically reduce the CPU temp? but an antec casing cost me AUD$214, and a HSF cost me AUD$60...

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

What I am saying is many times people "chase" processor temperatures trying to lower them when the actual cause of the processor running "warm" is from poor case design.

IDEALLY, in a non TAC (Thermally Advantaged Chassis) case the front intake fan or fans CFM should be equal to or slightly greater (approximately 10-15%) than the exhaust. The reason for this is you will have some loss of efficiency due to front panel restrictions. For instance is you had two 80mm front intake fans that each produced 65CFM (130CFM total) and a 120mm exhaust fan that exhausted 120CFM you would have smooth airflow throughout the case.

If you don't have adequate inlet airflow then you cannot efficiently cool the case, therefore the case temperature has a direct nexus to CPU temperature but NOT necessarily degree for degree.

Attached is a photo showing chassis air flow. In this photo the example shown depicts a side air duct fan which may or may not be present in a case. In any event, you must have a smooth airflow from front to rear of a case to have efficient case cooling.

Attached Files:

15. lazylilsnoop

ooo... 1st of all, i only got a build in exhaust fan, no side fan... even the front fan, i dun think it helps me after installed it... so u reckon i should go for a new case(antec P180) then only the HSF??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/517051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice