1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cpu Temperatures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kdoig, Jun 4, 2002.

?

What is your average cpu temperature?

1. 35-40 Celcius

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 41-45 Celcius

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. 56-50 Celcius

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. 51-55 Celcius

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 56-60 Celcius

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kdoig

kdoig Thread Starter

ok, I'm running an athlon xp 1800+, just bought it a few weeks ago...and from what I've been reading around here...we have some heat problems...I got the retail, so im using the heatsink and fan that came with the cpu.

the cpu is running at 52 degrees celcius, this seems to be the max it hits...what is a good speed to have the cpu running at? and will a system fan help to cool the cpu down also?

2. active95

active95

The problem seems to be the stock retail heatsink. It good but if you look for cooling get something like a Thermaltake Volcano 6+ or my favorite Alpha 8045
    Right now using a a Thermaltake Volcano 6+ with 60mm Panaflo ( hate the noise) it's 56 C. With the Sunon 60 mm temp drops to 47 C . With a "747 screamer" , Delta 7200 rpm , temp drops more to about 44 C. All temp. recorded under normal usage ( as in Kazaa, Audiogalaxy, 3/4 instances of Mozilla, Outlook Express, Windows media player running and WinAmp streams ). Amd XP 1600 +
    Now the system fan will help keeping a constant temp. inside the machine ( as in hdd, video card, chipset and does help with the cpu temp as well) as long as the room temp is not "oven like ". At that point it doesn;t make a different :D
    HTH
    HTH

3. Gary R

Gary R

I clicked on 51 - 55 .... but I must emphasize that the CPU in mine usually Idles at 131F with everything Ctrl - Alt _Del off EXCEPT Systray, Explorer, Motherboard Monitor 5.
    :
    When I run anything--even a simple DOS program like "Microsoft Gorilla" the temperature usually reaches 134 - 137F. Highest I've seen the CPU get--so far--is 142F after using Word2K about 30 Minutes. It hit 140 tonite while running AVG to check the HD--which takes about 4 minutes.
    :
    I know Athlon's run hot, but this one runs so hot I haven't been able to play any CPU intensive games such a Quake 1, 2, or 3, or any others :(

4. kdoig

kdoig Thread Starter

On another note, related however, I can only check my cpu temperature when I load up the bios, i dont have any software to check the cpu or case temperature while in windows, anyone know of something I can use?

Im on XP, i didnt notice XP containing anything i could use either, unless im blind as a bat already

5. active95

active95

6. max 8

max 8

Is the temp poll for temps at full load or idle or just regular pc use (surfing the net, burning cds and watching dvds)?

You also might want to add 30-34c and below 30c columns to the poll.

My pc (in my sig) runs at 34c at full load (prime95 torture test, burning a cd and surfing the net).

It's just a matter of how you set up your system.

I use MBM5 to monitor my temps, voltages and fan rpm.

I'm attaching a screenshot of my cpu overclocked @ 150fsb at 100% load running at 34c:

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/82159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice