1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TOW-fixxxer, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TOW-fixxxer

TOW-fixxxer Thread Starter

ok I am running (for now) a Gigabyte Mobo with an AMD 3000+ CPU I was always curios to see how hot my CPU temp was, so I ran speedfan, it says my CPU (as u can see in the Screenshot) is running close to 56 degrees Celcius with the stock cooler, Now thats right after running counterstrike source, and (before I blew out the case), now it runs around 52 degrees after a game, Is that a safe temp I think it could be cooler, so I purchased a Cooler Master Hyper 6+ to see if it would cool my processor better and when i do upgrade to my 4000+ processor, will it still be cooler than the stock heatsink for the 4200+... I know the rule of thumb for case cooling is same blowing in as same blowing out correct, becuase I have a PCI cooling fan too, think its a Cyclone think i should take it out its right under my 6800 GeForce card so its sucking the air right out from the Video card.... any input would be thankful, I know someones gonna say just watercool, lol

Attached Files:

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

that seems ok for processor temp not great. but it isnt dire. my 2800+ is at 48C right now.
    \
    and it looks like max core temp is 85C so i would say dont worry

3. TOW-fixxxer

well i was reading in a magazine that an AMD FX55 clawhammer core with stock cooler runs in low 40's and that heatsink fan combo put it at 36, im hoping to kep it at 42 with the new heatsink

Here Are my plans for my case, Remeber im thinking of changing my CPU heatsink

4. TOW-fixxxer

Do any of you have any ideas or know of any air flow pressure problems that may arise from the setup i have? the reason I am asking is because my case has no window so i cant do a string test, so rather than trial and errror, im just asking opinoins and if anyone has a better idea feel free to edit my schematic, i didnt take wires into account mind you, but I plan on moving them and things, so please give me an honest opinoin! Also the 4 extra fans im considering have a 32 CFM and are 80mm fans

Attached Files:

• case.jpg
      case.jpg
      File size:
      127.6 KB
      Views:
  5. LukeXX

LukeXX

You should have a fan or two in the back fan slots exhausting air, you can even get a PCI fan cooler that helps.
    My 2800+ idles at around 55c, I'm not using a super expensive fan (copper based, not the stock fan 'o course). Unless you run into any problems with overheating I wouldn't worry about it, although if you have no case fans then you should get some.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I use a Thermaltake Volcano 11+ Xaser edition cooler and my 2500+ runs at about 36C hen the room temp is near 85F. it is a little on the noisy side though. I have talked to people who have solved most of the noise problem by replacing the stylized Fan grill on the Volcano 11 with a wire fan grill though. BTW the Volcano 11 has a 72 CFM airflow.

7. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

well, running nearly 48 deg C, is around 115 d F, so running 56d C he's getting pretty far up there, prolly running around 130 degrees, so i would up the cooler, or something

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd lose the top input fan, it's position will be likely to adversely affect cooling. One of the issues of intake fans is creating turbulance in the case and creating hotspots. Ideally, you want the exhaust fans to keep a negative pressure in the case and depend on natural airflow.

9. TOW-fixxxer

well on my diagram the purple areas are fans i "might" be adding I am going to add a new heatsink fan to my CPU but i have a PCI cooler but its right under my video card, but if i dont put any fans in the front of the machine wont all the exuast fans create a vacuum?

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    the Idea is to keep the airflow as turbulence free as possible. Changing things like your ribbon cables to Round cables will help with that also.If your hard drives are heating up excessively then the top front fan might help with that. You want to draw cooler air in from the front bottom and exhaust the hot air out the rear top.

11. TOW-fixxxer

awesome thats what im tring to do, but i was thinking about putting an intake in the top between my 2 cd rom drives because i got a deal on 6 80mm 36crm fans for 10 dollars, so im trying to fuind ways to use them, I also got my new CPU heatsink/cooler that may help, do you think that having a PCI cyclone fan under the 6800gt, because im wondering if it is creating a vacuum which will limit the life of the card..?

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Well think about it this way, Just because you have them doesnt necessarily mean that using them is gonna be the right thing. As was stated if you cause turbulence, that causes pockets of no air flow, where there is no air flow there is no cooling. The idea is Well planned and placed fans is more important than the number of fans. A good high quality/high airflow/highly conductive (heat conductive) Heatsink/Fan combo is a must. Heat spreaders on your ram can be helpful as they draw heat away from your ram chips so that it can be cooled by good air flow. Another thing that is important is keeping the inside of you computer dust free as possible, since this is impossible cleaning it properly and removing any dust accumulation is essential. Dust acts as a blanket and retains heat. Do not vacuum the inside of your computer as vacuums are Static electricty generators and one mistake can render you with a anchor instead of a computer. use compressed air and if needed a natural bristle soft brush to clean your components. Do not let the compressed air freely spin your fans. This can damage the bearings as it will spin them much faster than they were disigned to spin.

As for your PCI fan card, if it is sucking air in from the Video card side and the fan on the video card si sucking air in as well the is less cooling taking place. A side fan in the case side over your video card pulling cooler outside air into and onto the vido card will produce better results. This often requires a case mod though if your computer did not come pre modded for a side fan in this location. A dril and a dremel tool can be pretty handy for this type of mod

13. TOW-fixxxer

"As for your PCI fan card, if it is sucking air in from the Video card side and the fan on the video card si sucking air in as well the is less cooling taking place. A side fan in the case side over your video card pulling cooler outside air into and onto the vido card will produce better results. T"

I dont think you understand quite how the PCI fan is working, you may have miss read, the fan on my video card is blowing down onto the PCI fan sucking, ans the PCI fan blows out the back of the system, I was wondering though if it is a problem becuase the fan may be succking more air than the GPU fan is blowing out? or does that matter at all, look at my little scribble the blue, represents cool air the red hot air... if you need to see the concept

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Trust me, it's impossible to suck more air out of the case than is drawn in. :D

The positioning of the fans, especially any intake fans, is more important than the quantity of fans.

FWIW, I have a pair of really large towers here that used to have two exhaust fans, as well as the P/S fan, and two intake fans. Removing the two intake fans dropped the MB and processor temperature about 4C with no other changes.

15. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

The new style of custom modded cases, i think makes a nice statement, now, we all know hot air rises, so ive re edited your diagram, i place 1-2 fans in the top of the case, blowing directly upwards, works wonders at LAN's nationwide.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice