1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dj24966, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dj24966

dj24966 Thread Starter

Ok lets start back a few weeks ago i had a cpu fan error a few times at cold boot, so i eventually came to the idea that the cpu fan was going bad, anyway today i got my new CPU Fan/Heatsink and replaced it, temps seemed fine when i let it run a while but when i did a virus scan with Kaspersky & Malwarebytes (also had a few other programs open) my temps jumped around but generally kept going up eventually at one point reaching 75 C (was using Speed Fan to check temps)

My CPU is a Intel Quad Core Q6600, now my temps are lower but im still idling around 50 on all cores according to Speed Fan and when under a load it shoots up into the mid 70's (although the CPU itself is much lower, currently 22 C with not much running)

This probably isn't normal but is it dangerous, i dont know why its doing this but i just want to know is it dangerous, and how can i fix it, if need be.

Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you clean off all the old thermal paste/pad off the CPU before installing the new heatsink? The new heatsink should have come with a new thermal pad on the bottom or with new paste to apply. You only need a small amount of paste as too much is just as bad as not enough.

OR the heatsink is not installed correctly or fully locked down. Socket 775 heatsinks can be hard to lock down fully.

3. dj24966

dj24966 Thread Starter

heatsink was a screwdown type pretty sure its locked down, i did not remove the old thermal paste, and this heatsink came with it already applied so i have none to apply.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you did not remove the old paste then there's your problem. You always need to remove the old paste/pad before installing a new heatsink or replacing the paste. The paste/pad is now acting as an insulator rather then helping transfer the heat to the heatsink.

5. dj24966

dj24966 Thread Starter

any suggestions on some good paste, Ive never applied any myself before either any tips on the proper way.

Thanks.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. dj24966

dj24966 Thread Starter

8. jlabit

jlabit

but I would not use the ceramique paste. It works pretty much as well as what he recommended, however, the ceramique is like super glue. Once you put that heatsink in place with it, you can NEVER get it off. I would highly suggest you purchase what he recommended. If you make a mistake, you won't have to go purchase a new CPU/Heatsink. Good luck.

9. dj24966

dj24966 Thread Starter

I'm not saying your lying, However...

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

Easy Clean Up:
    Céramique can easily be cleaned from CPUs and heatsinks with isopropyl alcohol or any of the cleaners listed in the product instructions

Edit: a quick google search says you might be right.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

The Ceramique is an OK compound, but personally I would spend the couple of dollars difference get the AS5 Triple6 recommended in post #6.

11. dj24966

dj24966 Thread Starter

ok thanks guys, i ordered the AS5.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/939146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice