1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU testing-mobo testing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roupcat, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roupcat

roupcat Thread Starter

I have either a bad mobo or bad cpu. Can I put a Celron 1.3ghz in a mobo that has a 600mhz (both are 370 sockets) to test it? Could I also test a mobo by installing a slower cpu? What would happen?

2. brite750

brite750

CPUZ GO BY SOCKET TYPE AND FSB, WE WOULD HAVE TO KNOW MAKE/MODEL OF MB

3. brite750

brite750

If Cpu Is Correct For Given Mb It Makes No Difference If Cpu Is Slower Or Not, What Would Happen Is Computer Would Run At Slower Cpu Clock Rate

4. roupcat

roupcat Thread Starter

Compaq support will not give me any info on mobo. Both are 370 sockets.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Since the board had a 600Mhz. Celeron you would have to know if it supported a 1.3Ghz. Celeron. I seriously doubt that a board that supported a 600Mhz. would support a processor twice as fast (1.3Ghz). The board MAY very well support a slower Celeron.

Processor failures are rare. You have about a 95% chance that the board is defective rather than the processor.

6. roupcat

roupcat Thread Starter

Thank you, so I could put a good slower cpu in a board to test the board, but not a faster cpu in a board that doesn't support it.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Without knowing the exact make and model of your board, I could not tell you positively what processors are supported, but the older boards were pretty good about supporting slower processors than what was installed.

8. roupcat

roupcat Thread Starter

Now don't laugh but is it possible to set the bios to underclock so a faster cpu can be tested in a slower mobo?

9. brite750

brite750

no not really, if the MB recognizes the cpu then it will, if it wont the pc wont boot, you wont be able to go into bios and do anything

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Actually there is a simpler answer here. The Celeron is an FCPGA2 and the 600 Mhz PIII is an FCPGA so that will never work anyway. Tell us what is responding or nothing at all when you throw the power switch and we can give you the closest odds.

11. brite750

brite750

glad you knew that;)

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Hey makes up for the ones I haven't a clue on, ya know?

13. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Thats what I would use as my measuring stick. Also note that that system is very outdated, you can either replace both for dirt cheap, or an astronomical price depending on what supply is out there.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/673989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice