1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU thermal paste?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by james221, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james221

james221 Thread Starter

Hi, i received my new CPU with heatsink and fan, however i dont have thermal paste/grease whatever you want to call it. I have bought it online and waiting for it to arrive .. can i use my new CPU without thermal paste until it arrives?

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, it will likely overheat.

Did the heatsink not come with a thermal pad already applied to it? Generally the heatsink either comes with a thermal pad or a tube of paste.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

Yeah. Every boxed CPU I've ever bout (AMD as well as Intel) has come with the thermal paste pre-applied to the base of the heatsink.

The only time I've ever bought a new CPU that didn't come with thermal paste was when ordering OEM CPU's from a tray.
    No box. No heatsink. Just CPU in a plastic shell container.

4. james221

james221 Thread Starter

Yeah i know, bear in mind it is a used one, due to the fact that they dont produce this model anymore. When the paste gets here, do i just put it on and spread it and thats it? is it on both bottom of heatsink and processor?

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Only if you want to overheat. There is a proper way to apply thermal paste. The thermal paste will come with instructions on how to apply it OR use the Arctic Silver instructions posted above.

7. Macboatmaster

And contrary to popular belief, there is no better heatsink than metal to metal, but the making of the processor and the heatsink, cannot possibly eliminate the minute imperfections, invisible to the human eye, so the purpose of the thermal compound is to fill those tiny imperfections
    THE common mistake is to apply too much.

It fills in all those microscopic imperfections on the heatsink and CPU

Also as it is a used CPU, the cleaning of any old remaining compound is of paramount importance, if this has not been done

Here is another easier to read guide
    http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/134/3

but as my colleague says the best guide is the instructions with the thermal compound you have bought

8. prunejuice

prunejuice

Back in the Socket A days (CPU's with bare dies), there were folks on enthusiast boards who swore that with a perfectly lapped heatsink and tightly mounted setup, they could equal or surpass any thermal paste.
    I was sceptical, but the theory of perfectly mated surfaces is sound.

9. prunejuice

prunejuice

My answer to the question of "I don't think I've used enough paste, there's only a very thin film" is, yes, that's plenty (combined with proper clamping force).

10. james221

james221 Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the help!

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A perfectly mated cpu/heatsink fan would not need thermal compound however I highly doubt you would want to pay the cost of having both the cpu and the hsf fabricated using the very expensive machining techniques used for making nuclear weapons or polishing mirrors used in expensive telescopes. I am sure it would add a LOT to the cost of your computer.

Looking at it that way, the cost of arctic silver is pretty cheap :)

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  13. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Please realise that the compound is NOT supposed to form a film between the heatsink and the CPU.
    It is there to fill in the minute/tiny gaps that are left when the surfaces aren't expensively machined as above

14. Macboatmaster

Indeed - as my post 7

15. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Just re-inforcing it!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1108757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice