CPU thermo paste

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ftgml

I am trying to build a PC. The retale box Intel E6400 CPU I bought from eBay had been opened and the thermo paste was not included with the CPU and the Heatsink/fan.
At the bottom of the heatsink, there is some kind of materials sort of printed on the shining smooth surface. ?Should I put the thermo paste onto this surp[hase or do I need to remove the material first?
Also, can I use the thermo paste coming with a third party heat sink/fan?

Thanks

fairnooks

Banned
You want shiny metal to shiny metal contact between the cpu and heatsink base with just the slightest bit of paste inbetween. If that material is a little sticky and was covered with plastic, that is a manufacturer-applied themal paste layer, no need for more. Most people put on way too much paste, I don't pay much attention to what brand I'm using but you should be fine with just about any thermal paste that is included with a well-known heatsink manufacturer.

If the cooler is a standard Intel cooler with a pre-applied thermal pad, DO NOT add any additional thermal compound.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online