CPU Upgrade and FSB

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robert2513

Good morning everyone.

I have a computer here with the following computer specs:

Intel Pentium IV 1.7.GHz w/ 400 FSB
512MB DDR266 PC2100 RAM
128MB PNY Geforce4 Ti 4400
80 GB Hard Drive

I mainly use this machine for gaming; not the lastest and greatest though. Just games like Rise of Nations, Dungeon Siege, Call of Duty, and Empire Earth.

I was wondering, how much performace improvement would get if I upgraded the processor to either a 2.0 GHz or 2.4 GHz (depends on how fat my wallet is) being the FSB is 400 MHz? I am thinking I would not see much b/c of the FBS being so low but wanted to get a second opinion :D .

Thanks.
Steve (Brother of Robert2513 who lent me his account for the day :D )

Are you sure your FSB is 400 because I had a P4 1.7 and it was only 133 I think and PC2100 only supports up to 133fsb.

robert2513

When I looked in the manual, it stated:

The P4VXAD mainboard includes a mPGA Socket 478 that
has the following features:
· Supports up to a 400 MHz front side bus (FSB)
· Accommodates Intel Pentium 4 processors

After reading your post, I checked the BIOS and there, under the "Advanced Chipset Settings", stated:

Current FSB Frequency 100 MHz
Current DRAM Frequency 133 MHz

Upon furthur investigation, I found this site which explained that Pentium 4 processors use a 100MHz bus but they are "quad pumped" giving a result of 400MHz: something that I did not know. :)

So now, even with this newly aquired information, I am still unsure, would the extra Mhz affect system preformace? Would adding another 512Mb (in the end 1024Mb) of memory along with the new processor help at all?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
I think I'd save up for a new computer. Going to a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz/400Mhz is the fastest you can go, it'll help but you'll still be far behind in the Intel technonlogy product line which wasn't very good in the early in the generation Pentium 4's. Going to 1 GB of RAM would also help, maybe even more then the CPU, but it may be best to look at the whole picture.

The ECS P4VXAD is a board that suffers from stability issues and eventual death. I'd be checking the capacitors on the motherboard to see if they are bulging or leaky - the entire line of ECS P4 series boards used faulty capacitors and many of these boards have not lasted this long.

If you do wish to upgrade make sure you have the latest BIOS, the latest VIA chipset drivers and buy the processor from eBay - I don't think you'll find it anywhere else anyway. But personally I'd start putting money into a piggy back. Even the Ti4400 is starting to show its age.

Goto Powerleap.com, they tell you what you can upgrade to. I'd get a new PC if I were you. But then again, everyone wants a Porsche but all they really need is a ford. If thats all you do then don't really bother buying a new PC.

Well to chime in I think doubling the ram and upping the cpu to 2.4 will give you a good boost for now, it all depends the cost vs what a more up to date system would run you and I agree with lithium there too in that I don't know how far I would push an ECS mobo, especially one that has been running for a while. Not the greatest if you catch our drift!

I suppose your P4 is the Willemette core (due to the 1.7 speed)? If so, upgrading to a Northwood core may help in the performance boost. Since you are playing older games, you may notice a difference. I remember that the 1.7 Willemette performed on the same level as the 1.6 Northwood.

If you decide to upgrade, avoid the Willemette core. Look for "Northwood" or "2.0A GHz."

In my opinion, I would probably just upgrade the CPU alone at most.

robert2513

Wow, thanks for your replies and input.

I don't know what capacitors are but I believe my brother does, so I'll have to ask him to check those for me when he gets back from college for the summer.

I didn't realize that ESC motherboards had a bad "rep". I've never had any real problems with it. Guess I am going to have give this some thought as to whether I am going to save up and get a new machine or go ahead and upgrade the CPU and/or memory. Another thing to talk to my brother about being I have a limited knowledge of this stuff. :rolleyes:

Also, one other quick question, if you don't mind. I would like to expand my knowledge of computers, and being I am thinking about getting a new one, can anyone recommend any good websites, books, etc. where one can learn about the current and new technologies available for computers? I guess I would like something that explains them, kinda like that one site I found earlier explained about quad pumbing.

robert2513 said:
Wow, thanks for your replies and input.

I don't know what capacitors are but I believe my brother does, so I'll have to ask him to check those for me when he gets back from college for the summer.

I didn't realize that ESC motherboards had a bad "rep". I've never had any real problems with it. Guess I am going to have give this some thought as to whether I am going to save up and get a new machine or go ahead and upgrade the CPU and/or memory. Another thing to talk to my brother about being I have a limited knowledge of this stuff. :rolleyes:

Also, one other quick question, if you don't mind. I would like to expand my knowledge of computers, and being I am thinking about getting a new one, can anyone recommend any good websites, books, etc. where one can learn about the current and new technologies available for computers? I guess I would like something that explains them, kinda like that one site I found earlier explained about quad pumbing.

This is the bible for hardware buffs, but you would have to search out each category:
http://www.tomshardware.com/

robert2513

Thanks for the site. Have to check it out later.

Once again, thanks everyone for your posts and input. Very helpful.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.