1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU upgrade do I need to upgrade fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alexb123, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alexb123

Alexb123 Thread Starter

I've upgraded my Q6600 to a Q6850 and the computer is crashing (blue screen) about once a day. Could this be that I need to upgrade the fan?

On SpeedFan 4.4.2 I'm getting the following reading

Temp 1 70c
    Temp 2 44c

CPU -64c
    Internal Temp 53c

I'm not sure if these are the correct readings to give.

Any ideas on this would be so appreciated :)

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there,

It could be that you need a better fan. However, Did you make sure that you used a good quality thermal paste when fitting the cooler back on? Are all the push pins connected tightly and locked correctly?

Intel coolers are very hard to fit if you haven't done it before and I have had problems with them before.

Jack-O-Bytes

3. Alexb123

Alexb123 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply :)

I got the paste from PC World, so I presume its good quality. Maybe I didn't put enought, on? How thick should the layer be?

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Usually you need to just put a small blob (about the size of one of those plastic bb bullets) right in the centre of the CPU, Then as you push the heat-sink down onto the CPU and lock the legs that spreads the thermal paste enough to make it have full contact. Remember make sure that all the old stuff has been removed as well, I just use a paper towel or kitchen towel sort of thing and just rub the thermal paste off the CPU and heat-sink.

Jack-O-Bytes

5. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

If you watch this video it shows you how thermal paste will spread. If you base your application on whether you have metal or ceramic compound then you can make a decision on the best way to apply it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

6. Alexb123

Alexb123 Thread Starter

Good vid, cheers. I think I've put too much on, would that cause blue screen?

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

It's ahrd to describe exactly the amount of compound to use, but I use an amount about the size of 2-bb's right in the center of the heatspreader whether I'm using AS5 of IC7.

When Shop Intel was still open they had pre-filled syringes of Dow-Corning TC-1996 compound and you emptied the whole syringe in the middle of the heatspreader which made it very easy since you didn't have to guess at the proper amount.

Here are some good directions for applying IC7 and as I stated I use the same amount whether I use IC7 or AS5.

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I don't know abut Blue screens, but too much thermal paste can create a thermal blanket that holds too much heat.

As for cleaning the old thermal compound off, I use Denatured Alcohol and a piece of soft cotton t-shirt material.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice