CPU upgrade? newbie here!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gpdemers

I have a Intel Celeron 346, 775 LGA socket 3.06GHz. chipset P965/G965 rev.C2. 8GB ram. windowa 10 Pro. My question to you is what is my best option for upgrading my CPU, or should I go for motherboard as well?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

crjdriver

You need to post the exact mb you have installed.
If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, you do understand that IF you install a new board, you need to purchase a new windows lic. If this is a custom build, then you can swap whatever you want.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have a Intel Celeron 346, 775 LGA socket 3.06GHz. chipset P965/G965 rev.C2. 8GB ram. windowa 10 Pro.
If that computer has an Intel Celeron D 346 3.06 GHz single core processor(which has a very low benchmark score of 284), it definitely shouldn't be running Windows 10 Pro.
It's even too weak to run Windows XP decently.

Since your computer has an Intel P965 chipset, it does support up to 8 GB of DDR2 RAM.
It looks like you've already maxed it out.

Your computer's hardware is too old and too slow.
You'd probably be better off buying a refurbished computer with Windows 10.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Gpdemers

If that computer has an Intel Celeron D 346 3.06 GHz single core processor(which has a very low benchmark score of 284), it definitely shouldn't be running Windows 10 Pro.
It's even too weak to run Windows XP decently.

Since your computer has an Intel P965 chipset, it does support up to 8 GB of DDR2 RAM.
It looks like you've already maxed it out.

Your computer's hardware is too old and too slow.
You'd probably be better off buying a refurbished computer with Windows 10.

--------------------------------------------------------------
So your saying an upgrade to the cpu is not worth it?

Triple6

Rob
Regardless of what you can upgrade too it's going to be old, socket 775 systems are very old and have been superseded by 6 generations of Intel Core i series processors.

You can almost certainly upgrade your CPU to a faster one, but you'd have to post the exact model of your computer and motherboard.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
E520 (DM061) PC, motherboard 0WG864
You have a Dell Dimension E520 desktop.
What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on yours?

----------------------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

No, it is not worth the money spent. I agree that you would be better off with a refurbished system.
Since that is a dell, to get a definitive answer, you must contact dell. I did check the dell forum and there were a few people with that board running a q6600.

Really [IMO] you are just wasting money. If you want a faster system, then purchase a refurbished one from dell.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
FF3W0CI, Express code 33565259953
You have THIS Dell Dimension E520 desktop.
It was purchased in October 2006 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows XP Home Edition SP2 32-bit.
Its devices will support Windows XP and Windows Vista 32-bit and Windows 7 32-bit, but not Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

You need a newer and faster computer.
I gave you my recommendation for one in post #9.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Gpdemers

It was purchased in October 2006 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows XP Home Edition SP2 32-bit.
Its devices will support Windows XP and Windows Vista 32-bit and Windows 7 32-bit, but not Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

thanks!

Gpdemers

I got this in an auction today: HP Z400 Tower Workstation Intel Xeon W3520 Quad Core 2.66 GHz 8GB 250GB and a NVIDIA QUADRO FX 1800 Graphics Card . $89.95 + 24.95 shipping. Refurbished oh ya windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It sells refurbished with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit for about $260.00 plus shipping.
If you bought yours for $90.00 and it doesn't "crash and burn", you bought it for a steal.
Good luck with it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online