1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU upgrade question....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jharrison, Jun 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jharrison

jharrison Thread Starter

i just got my hands on a Cyrix MII PR366. i didn't buy it. i wouldn't spend the money before knowing if my motherboard could handle it. it came out of an emachine here at work during an upgrade, and since no one likes Cyrix processors we were going to trash it. anyway, that's the scoop.

i have a Shuttle HOT 557 ver 1.3 motherboard. at their web site it says that this motherboard will only support up to a 200 mhz pentium chip. i noticed last night on the motherboard that one of the jumper settings can be set at 75 and another can be set at 3x. i can't remember what they were labeled.

anyway, shouldn't i just be able to move the jumpers to the max and get it to run that 366. i know that it won't run at full speed but it should run faster than the 100 mhz cpu that was in it, right?

2. RandyG

RandyG

I had a similar situation, AMD 100 system, and Motherboard could accept up to 200. I had a 233 chip from a friend's old computer and it ran sweet for a couple of days, and then death occurred. A friend determined that I had blown the Motherboard, and it could have been caused by the higher powered processor.

I'm not saying that it will happen to yours, but letting you know what happened when I tried it.

3. nomad

nomad

the jumper that said 75 is your bus speed and the one that said 3 is your multiplier, anyhow, you can put in a higher speed cpu, no problem, but it will only run as fast as you can set the bus speed and multipier. one thing you do have to watch for is the voltage setting, this could have been the problem for RandyG.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice